Power Steering Pump Replacement Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
It's a pain with both the fan and the lower shroud left in place........and if your socket gets stuck on the end of puller and you go to yanking it off, you can hit your radiator with the ratchet.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
If your truck had hydroboost, your master cylinder would be bolted to this thing with 3 large lines attached to the top of it.

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
and by "this thing" you meannn...?

you can give me part names lol I'm not too stupid when it comes to automotive knowhow, nowhere near as knowledgeable as most of you but I've only had my truck for 2 months....now a 84 silvy is another story

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Vacuum brake booster has one rubber hose....hydraulic brake booster has 3 metal lines about 1/2" in diameter. There's a definite difference between the looks if you know what a regular power brake booster looks like on most passenger vehicles.

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well boys, I got the job taken care of today....don't quite know yet if the leak is gone, I'll know tomorrow morning though because I put a piece of cardboard under it to see whats there when I wake up. The only issue that I'm having now is a slight tension in the wheel sometimes when I'm cruising (not on slow speed turns :think:) at about 30-40 mph down the road. It almost feels like the PS is gone for a second and then comes right back when the wheel is moved at all.

Could this be just air in the system that hasn't worked its way out yet? (and yes I did the 12 turns crank to crank with the resevoir cap off with it jacked up after finishing)
Could it be that my steering gear box has **** the bed??

I'm going to give it a week and see if it works itself out, if not I'll go get another PS pump for free with my lifetime warranty next weekend! :rocking:

write-up to come soon, just not tonight, I'm pretty beat from wrenching all day