Odyssey Batteries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post this in case anyone is in the market for a really nice battery. A couple days ago I went out to the garage to take the truck out for a while and it wouldn't start. It had an Optima yellow top that was less than a year old and I always use a maintainer when it's not going to be driven for a while. I pulled the bigger charger out of my toolbox and hooked it up, reading on the charger immediately shot up to 16.8v, ouch! Charger then attempted to go into desulfate mode, and promptly shut off giving me a bad battery message. Long story short I run a pretty substantial stereo system so I wasn't just going to go buy a cheapie. Found out that a local battery store was a dealer for Odyssey batteries so I went to check them out online. On paper, these things are beasts compared to the Optima. Tons more CCA, and a little more reserve. $270 later I'm out the door and headed home to install my fancy new battery. All I can say after the install is WOW. My alternator is an Ohio Generator, don't remember the exact amperage but it's slightly higher output than stock, not enough to really keep up though. As far as I could remember I have always had some voltage drop at full volume, even when my Optima was brand new. Not the case with the Odyssey. After letting it charge up I went out and tested the stereo, no drop AT ALL. 14v on the gauge even on the heaviest of bass hits. I am extremely happy with it. The price tag is a little high but they have a 5 year free replacement warranty, and they're made in Warrensburg Missouri by Enersys. Only after this ordeal did I realize that Optima has sold to Johnson Controls and are now made in Mexico. If you're looking for a nice battery I can't say enough good things about Odyssey. Can't comment on longevity yet but if the warranty is any indication I'd say I'll have this thing for a while.

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's good information, this is pretty much exactly what they tried to do to mine at the battery store I went to. Unfortunately mine still caused a voltage spike whenever charge was applied, think there was something pretty bad wrong internally.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm..... $270 with a 5 year free replacement warranty

Thats less than $55/yr.

Sounds like a good buy to me!

For a comparison I JUST bought a battery for my car, a plain jane Diehard, with my discount out the door I paid $127. 2 year free replacement.

About $15/yr more than what you are paying.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Just a heads up, there is a line of DieHard batteries that are actually manufactured by Odyssey. Check out the DieHard Platinum line. Not as expensive as the Odyssey, but identical underneath.

The regular and Gold line DieHards however, are all made by Johnson Controls not Odyssey.

Don't rely on the website to check stock, you'll need to call your local Sears.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/allmodre...3_12605_02850090000P&targetType=seeAllReviews

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just a heads up, there is a line of DieHard batteries that are actually manufactured by Odyssey. Check out the DieHard Platinum line. Not as expensive as the Odyssey, but identical underneath.

The regular and Gold line DieHards however, are all made by Johnson Controls not Odyssey.

Don't rely on the website to check stock, you'll need to call your local Sears.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/allmodre...3_12605_02850090000P&targetType=seeAllReviews

I actually read this online prior to my purchase, but ended up going with the Odyssey mainly because I could find more detailed specs on it and also because my local battery guys are great to deal with. I'm sure they're exactly the same though. Also I just checked the Odyssey warranty info and it's listed as a 4 year free replacement warranty, not 5. Don't know where I got that extra year from but regardless I'm still really happy with how this thing performs. Beat on it pretty hard with the stereo today and still no real voltage fluctuation, lowest I saw was about 12v but that was on a 15hz test tone just for the hell of it.

Last edited:

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Just picked up a DieHard Platinum 34/78 Dual Terminal battery from Sears

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platin...2851090000P?prdNo=13&blockNo=13&blockType=G13

So far I'm pretty impressed with how much cranking power this thing has. This battery should last me a minimum of 8 years....I've read many reviews of people getting 10 years and a few reviews of people getting 12 years out of them. I'm ok with not having to go battery shopping until 2022!