Novice seeking help (wiring/engine rebuild)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amsterdamned96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked into the flat tappets/lifters vs roller cam/lifters. I won’t be able to post a picture of the cross hatch / cylinder wall today. It’ll have to wait.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have an "L29" "Vortec" 7.4L, you've got roller lifters held in place with a stamped-sheetmetal spider and eight double-ended "dogbones".

Amsterdamned96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right, Do the hydraulic flat tappets rely on the oil to function? As opposed to the mechanical ones?

Edit: I just read up on the matter. Would a swap to a roller cam + lifters be the first sensible engine enhancement for this 454? Or would I also have to change the valves, valve springs & rocker arms?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might not be the FIRST thing I'd want to do, but it'd be in the top five.

Yes, they rely on oil to function--they have a semi-sealed oil chamber inside that keeps zero clearance in the valvetrain.. (The oil passage into the chamber is plenty big. The passage out of the chamber is microscopic. This is why hydraulic lifters act like little oil filters. Dirt gets in, can't get back out.)

Yes, you'd need to change valve springs, and pushrods along with the camshaft and lifters to upgrade to hydraulic roller cam.

If you do, be sure to specify the Gen 6 step-nose cam, the thrust plate., and the Gen 6 timing set. Beats hell out of the previous-style roller cam and aftermarket thrust buttons.

Amsterdamned96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I pulled my dash, I followed this video. He has some good tips, but he skips some stuff.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Don't pull the dash until you have all your parts ready to go in. I pulled my dash, ran into an issue, and had to wait a week to reassemble. I'm pretty sure I got a couple bits back together wrong. Then, as I was reinstalling, I discovered a handful of wire nuts on the door harness. Oh well, I'll fix that next time.
I haven’t marked anything inside the cab yet. I’ll try my best not too mess up on the reassembly of the dash too badly. I’ve put most of the dash panels screws/bolts back in their slot after the panel is removed.
I’m struggling to get the factory radio control panel out. There’s no connector as far as I can tell from here.

You must be registered for see images attach

I’m tempted to cut and add spade connectors..

Edit II:
Unplugged the radio panel next to the steering column where radio board is housed.
I found this loose female 1-pin connector attached to the radio panel wiring. Can anyone tell me what this is usually hooked up to? Photos have been attached below:

Last edited: