Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DKT5

Reaction score
Hi there I have 2 noises in my 1988 k1500 5.7l tbi.
The first one I noticed going about 70 mph you would hear a screeching/whirring noise for just a split second then immediately it goes away.

Engine warning light comes on.. after turning truck off and back on again the light goes away although the noise happens here and there coming from the engine bay?

Secondly I was traveling up an asphalt road while almost reaching the top of the hill I heard a rattling metallic sound almost like clanking while under load? Sounds in the engine bay although lower and more towards the cabin maybe...?

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What light is it , and what color orange or red .

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your driveshafts for u-joint tightness, witness marks, carrier bearing condition (if you have one), etc. Check your transmission mount to make sure it's still attached. Check your suspension for any broken parts.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suspecting serpentine belt and A/C compressor engagement. Belt worn out, stretched, tensioner not holding proper tension, A/C compressor dragging excessively.

But that's not the only possibility. Just where I'd start looking.