Electrical issues. POSTED IN MAINTENANCE TOO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just got a surprisingly nice 1990 2500 350 TBI off marketplace for the low low price of free. Runs and drives better than it should but effectively nothing in the interior works. This thing has some pretty hardcore electrical gremlins, the previous owner did some real mickey mouse bull**** on this thing. To start, the radio has to be turned on with a toggle switch because according to him, "It stopped turning on with the key one day." The gauges all work, but I don't think they read correctly, except for the speedometer which works great. When you hit the turn signals it makes all the gauges peg out, same thing when you turn the headlights on, only difference is with the headlights on, the signals stop working entirely and the fasten seatbelt light comes on, but only sometimes???. None of the backlights in the dash work. The brake warning light is on, so that light does work and it's correctly on as the rear brakes basically don't exist right now. The blower motor blows it's fuse sometimes. If you have the CTSY fuse in, the dash stays on even without the key in. The driver's window doesn't go down but it does draw power, could be motor but who knows. Passenger window still works but you have to help it up and down. Every once in a while, you'll be driving and it'll start bogging unless you give it more gas and it downshifts and it clears up. I've also got a 3 pin connector at the base of the TBI that just... isn't plugged in and I don't see anything it would plug into.

Overall, I'm sure the answer is grounds. I had an 84 el camino that had a lot of these same symptoms and cleaning my grounds + adding a few seemed to help a lot. If that's what everyone here thinks too, is there a diagram of both the engine AND interior grounds? I've looked at a few in the engine bay and some are pretty rusty and don't really look amazing so I'm sure those need to be cleaned, specifically the two on the thermostat housing. Can I add any?

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I add new grounds too... cab to frame, cab to engine, engine to frame, they certainly cant hurt..... There are a couple on the radiator support that did some wacky things when i forgot to hook them back up.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double posting is not advised. Never seen anyone name their thread after it either.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for help and I figured this is both an interior and engine bay problem and there's two sections filled with people who know more than me for both those places.
No biggie, just saying better in just one thread. Engine Performance and Maintenance I think is the best. It just gets confusing for all. Not sure, but it might even be forum rules too. Moderator may just merge them. I’ll check out the other post.