Weird lighting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duallydumpbox

Reaction score
Hello... My first post..
1996 K2500 converted to dually.
I had no running lights. Got a new headlight switch and all lights worked briefly but now only headlights do and when I push the brake pedal the dash indicators for turn signals both come on. Any ideas?

RustyNM_92

Reaction score
Hello... My first post..
1996 K2500 converted to dually.
I had no running lights. Got a new headlight switch and all lights worked briefly but now only headlights do and when I push the brake pedal the dash indicators for turn signals both come on. Any ideas?
Sounds like it might be a ground issue, but there are also other things that it could be. I would check all fuses, ground connections, and bulbs first. You said that when you replaced the switch it worked fine for a while and then stopped perhaps the connection is loose? Also, I would take a look at your turn signal switch, I had an issue with my 93 where the brake lights and turn signals would not work at the same time, which turned out to be the switch. Let us know what you find out, Best of Luck!

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any LED bulbs anywhere? I’d also check all the associated harnesses for the extra lighting the duallys have.

Duallydumpbox

Reaction score
Sounds like it might be a ground issue, but there are also other things that it could be. I would check all fuses, ground connections, and bulbs first. You said that when you replaced the switch it worked fine for a while and then stopped perhaps the connection is loose? Also, I would take a look at your turn signal switch, I had an issue with my 93 where the brake lights and turn signals would not work at the same time, which turned out to be the switch. Let us know what you find out, Best of Luck!
I'm embarrassed to say that I checked the fuses before 8 changed the headlight switch but not again after. One did in fact blow. So now I have running lights but still no brake light or signals.

Duallydumpbox

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion.... I'll check the grounds first I think. I wonder if it could be the brake light switch - and I wonder where that even is!?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the rear most ground from box to frame. Ask me how I know.