Electrical issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 1996 Chevy k1500. I’m having a couple of problems, one of my problems is very odd. I have subwoofers in my truck and while I was working on the ac unit I noticed something weird. When I turned the air on my subwoofers would turn off and when I turn the ac unit off they would come back on. Also my cluster lights do not come on when I turn the headlights on. I have replaced the switch to the headlights while also checking for any bad fuses. I have looked up this kind of problem everywhere but find no answer. As for in the newer trucks this problem comes for a bad bcm but I can’t find anything they shows where there is a bcm in my truck.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Newer? Between ' 98 and 2020 ? Or maybe as in next generation? What or why do you think there is a body control module? Why did you replace headlight switch, was it broke? Do have the OE service manuals, there's a free download sticky above. What circuit powers your subwoofers? Or what did you use for power?

Reaction score
newer meaning as in next generation(2000’s cateye/roundbodys). I was talking about a bcm because I’ve read that they control such things as the cluster while I also have somthing draining my battery which also has lead to the bcm in the new generation trucks. I didn’t know if my truck had one or did not it is just somthing that sounded like could be the problem. I replaced the switch to the headlights because the cluster lights up when your turn the switch so I thought that could be a problem. I just have a regular wiring kit for my subs with a hot wire ground a wire running from my amp to my radio and rca wires running from radio to amp.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want to do your own maintenance, get the OE service manuals for your year truck , there free download in a sticky above. You do a lot of guessing changing parts and $$$ eventually you will fix it. A " regular wiring kit " does not define how you installed it. What is " a hot wire ground a wire from amp to radio " ? Shouldn't it be source( radio, cd, ) , amp, speakers ?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe @Wh4t3v3rs could help, probably more in his wheelhouse. I would recommend keeping these issues combined in one thread.

Reaction score
I have also readi
If you want to do your own maintenance, get the OE service manuals for your year truck , there free download in a sticky above. You do a lot of guessing changing parts and $$$ eventually you will fix it. A " regular wiring kit " does not define how you installed it. What is " a hot wire ground a wire from amp to radio " ? Shouldn't it be source( radio, cd, ) , amp, speakers ?
i have tried looking through the manual. It is a regular wiring kit. The hot wire(positive) is ran from amp to battery with a fuse. Then ground(negative) ran from amp to a bolt underneath the carpet inside cab the remote turn on wire ran from amp to radio then 2 channel rca ran from amp to radio there are two subs underneath backseat ran to amp one sub in each channel of amp.

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Parisituc drain somewhere in my system here’s spec from ALLDATA. also picked up some post adapters at autozone cuz side posts are tricky and dumb

You must be registered for see images attach