Heater Power Issue/Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheRedMamba

Reaction score
Babygirl is a mistreated 1993 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab K1500 4x4, Z-71, 5.7L V8…

A few days ago the blower fan went out, the plastic fan was detached from the motor, because of location the new motor with fan attached took a couple days to arrive, It's averaging a -8 here at night, I sleep in my truck, easier for work, so I tried a quick, temporary hack job of reattaching the fan to the blower motor. It worked for like an hour when the actual motor finally went.

Issue:
When the motor finally died the control head went dead and there was a slight smell of melting plastic…. Like wire insulation, etc. but only for a minute, I was also pushing the fuse back into the fuse box when the power supply died and I noticed the smell.

I replaced the blower motor, brand new with the fan attached.

Nothing. Still no power to control head.

Sidenote: When the blower initially stopped working, the Heater Control Head had power until reinstalling the fuse.

Went to the yard and pulled a Heater Control Head out of a 1994 Silverado, installed and no change.

I do not see any melting damage on the wiring behind the fuse box or the harness that attaches to the Heater Control Head. I haven't checked elsewhere other than fuseable links under the hood at the bulkhead Distribution Block (Passenger Side).

Does anyone know if the Heater has a fuseable link somewhere I can check?

Any ideas on where to find the most likely spot where my issue might be?

Any help/suggestions would be great and appreciated! It's freaking freezing! Lol I'm a decent, fairly knowledgeable home mechanic, but electrical is not my strong point.

I'm off work tomorrow and will begin tracing the wiring visually and with my multimeter!

I do have the 1993 wiring service manual but I'm not finding an exact schematic for the heater, just the blower and AC!

TIA! I Appreciate it! Cheers

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you smelled it, only for a quick time, there was already damage being done. You need to track all related wiring and connections. Is there not a blower resistor? I am unsure of the location. Not seeing melting/damage does not mean there is none. Inspection of all connections is needed. Sometimes, just disconnecting and reconnecting is enough to clean a connection.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have the OE service manuals , not Haynes or chilton. If you don't in the sticky above is the link for your year, the forum library has many. In it it has the details of fan and heater operation. If you smoked the fan speed resistor, it will have to be replaced. It's in area below glove box. Also the connector at fan is prone to overheat , fail.
You must be registered for see images attach

TheRedMamba

Reaction score
Do you have the OE service manuals , not Haynes or chilton. If you don't in the sticky above is the link for your year, the forum library has many. In it it has the details of fan and heater operation. If you smoked the fan speed resistor, it will have to be replaced. It's in area below glove box. Also the connector at fan is prone to overheat , fail.
I do have the 1992-1994 manuals downloaded from this forum, there only the wiring for the 1993. Let's say the resistor is smoked, would that be the cause of the control until not having power?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There shouldn't be much difference between 93-94,
You have this 94 manual, it's in section 8A- 60 starts with heater controls etc. the power, grounds, locations, digrams.

TheRedMamba

Reaction score
Babygirl is a mistreated 1993 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab K1500 4x4, Z-71, 5.7L V8…

A few days ago the blower fan went out, the plastic fan was detached from the motor, because of location the new motor with fan attached took a couple days to arrive, It's averaging a -8 here at night, I sleep in my truck, easier for work, so I tried a quick, temporary hack job of reattaching the fan to the blower motor. It worked for like an hour when the actual motor finally went.

Issue:
When the motor finally died the control head went dead and there was a slight smell of melting plastic…. Like wire insulation, etc. but only for a minute, I was also pushing the fuse back into the fuse box when the power supply died and I noticed the smell.

I replaced the blower motor, brand new with the fan attached.

Nothing. Still no power to control head.

Sidenote: When the blower initially stopped working, the Heater Control Head had power until reinstalling the fuse.

Went to the yard and pulled a Heater Control Head out of a 1994 Silverado, installed and no change.

I do not see any melting damage on the wiring behind the fuse box or the harness that attaches to the Heater Control Head. I haven't checked elsewhere other than fuseable links under the hood at the bulkhead Distribution Block (Passenger Side).

Does anyone know if the Heater has a fuseable link somewhere I can check?

Any ideas on where to find the most likely spot where my issue might be?

Any help/suggestions would be great and appreciated! It's freaking freezing! Lol I'm a decent, fairly knowledgeable home mechanic, but electrical is not my strong point.

I'm off work tomorrow and will begin tracing the wiring visually and with my multimeter!

I do have the 1993 wiring service manual but I'm not finding an exact schematic for the heater, just the blower and AC!

TIA! I Appreciate it! Cheers
I think I found the problem...
There shouldn't be much difference between 93-94,
You have this 94 manual, it's in section 8A- 60 starts with heater controls etc. the power, grounds, locations, digrams.
I do thank you

TheRedMamba

Reaction score
This might be the problem eh?!! Ugh!!

Attachments

• IMG_20240310_153224.jpg
    IMG_20240310_153224.jpg
    563.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240310_153205.jpg
    IMG_20240310_153205.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240310_153247.jpg
    IMG_20240310_153247.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 4

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That may be the result of an issue and not necessarily the cause.
Like a head gasket failure is usually the result of another problem. I agree, fix and fire it up and be ready to do further tracking.