1997 GMC Suburban K1500 - Power lock issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASL311

Reaction score
Hey all.

Problem: Using both the key fob, and the lock / unlock switch on both doors, the drivers side works fine, passenger front will lock but not unlock, and all rear doors are not etting power. Fuse 13 keeps blowing after a few uses of the lock.

The power lock relay is getting power from the signal wire, but now power from the unlock output(tan wire). I replaced the relay and it did not fix the problem.

I have the cigarette lighters / outlets (all 3) coompletely disconnected with no change.

The ground for relay is secure, and no change with bypassing.

I bypassed the relay by connecting the Orange hot wire to the tan unlock wire with no luck.

The wiring diagram shows all 5 doors connected under the dash. I find it hard to believe that if there was an issue with thast junction, that 1 of the doors would still work.

The kyless entry module has built in door relays (to my best understanding) and you can hear an audible click when hitting the unlock bottom on both the fob and the door.

What am I missing?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have referenced the diagnostic chart in the service manual ? Under door locks, or remote door operation, in section 8 ?

caminonut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the wires coming through the boot between the door and the cowl.
I have worked on several of them that overtime open and closing the door one or two of the wires will break Inside that boot.

ASL311

Reaction score
Check the wires coming through the boot between the door and the cowl.
I have worked on several of them that overtime open and closing the door one or two of the wires will break Inside that boot.
I have checked all of the doors. It is also highly unlikely that the unlock wire on 4/5 doors pinched at the same time.