Power locks not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aarondash

Reaction score
So I have a 1996 silverado 1500 z71. When I bought it there was no key for the door locks. So I got a locksmith to cut me two keys and now I have keys for the locks but when I tried to click the lock and unlock switches, nothing happens. I was guessing since the guy who I bought it from lost the keys he pulled a fuse or disconnected the locks so he didn’t accidentally lock himself out. I pulled the switches and they are plugged in. I checked the fuse in the dash #13 and I took #15 fuse out and tried to put in #13 spot to see if the locks work and nothing. Could the actual door lock actuators be bad? Both sides do not work

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the drivers side switch and wiring in the door jam first. If there is a broken wire or a bad switch, the passenger side will be dead also. Check for power at the actuator while you have the drivers door panel off.

Aarondash

Reaction score
Check the drivers side switch and wiring in the door jam first. If there is a broken wire or a bad switch, the passenger side will be dead also. Check for power at the actuator while you have the drivers door panel off.
How can I check for power at the actuator?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can remove the key tumblers out of the doors and repin them to the ignition key. If you want to return to one key for all locks and ignition.