Cluster lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have. 1996 Chevy k1500 when I turn my headlights on my cluster doesn’t light up. I also have a problem with somthing slowly draining my battery but I can charge it up and it cranks and drive just fine then come the next day it is dead. I have found that in the 2000 models this problem is located at the bcm controlling everything in the cab of the truck but I can find anything about a bcm inside my truck i tried really hard trying to fix this problem and I’m not a expert or good with this kind of stuff and I just need some help guiding me to the fix

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
There is no BCM in a 96, most of the GMT400 platform never had one except the up-level SUVs in 99-2000 -- pickups NEVER had them. Parasitic drain could literally be just about anything in the truck, but you can start with the easy stuff. Get yourself a multimeter, disconnect your battery and put your multimeter probes between the battery and the wire you just disconnected from the battery, set the meter to amps and see how much current the truck is pulling. Then start ripping out fuses until the current draw drops significantly. There aren't that many electronic modules in these trucks... Stereo, dome lighting, keyless entry module if you have it. And then the PCM and ABS modules. That's pretty much it. Oh yeah and airbag.

Reaction score
There is no BCM in a 96, most of the GMT400 platform never had one except the up-level SUVs in 99-2000 -- pickups NEVER had them. Parasitic drain could literally be just about anything in the truck, but you can start with the easy stuff. Get yourself a multimeter, disconnect your battery and put your multimeter probes between the battery and the wire you just disconnected from the battery, set the meter to amps and see how much current the truck is pulling. Then start ripping out fuses until the current draw drops significantly. There aren't that many electronic modules in these trucks... Stereo, dome lighting, keyless entry module if you have it. And then the PCM and ABS modules. That's pretty much it. Oh yeah and airbag.