93 K1500 Intermittent Instrument Cluster Lights and Tail Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FourEightZero

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction on what to probe to find out what's causing my intermittent electrical issue. Electrical is not my strong suit.

I have a 93 K1500 ECSB, pulled out the factory instrument cluster and put in the Dakota Digital VHX cluster. It's been working just fine for a couple years until a few weeks ago.

When I cold start the truck and turn on the headlights, cluster gauges/displays are working fine, but I have no cluster backlight and no tail lights. Headlights come on just fine.

I let the engine/truck warm up and start messing with the factory dimmer dial for a couple minutes, eventually the cluster lights/tail lights pop on. They stay on until I get to my destination and shut off the truck. I can key on and power everything back up instantly. If I let the truck cool off, the problem comes back.

I have the "ST-375-93-EDD_1993_Chevrolet_CK_Wiring_Manual" PDF and I will be checking my wiring from the factory instrument cluster harness to the DD cluster when I have time off from work.

Can anyone tell me what to check further upstream with the factory wiring/electrical?

Thanks.