Having problems with my instrument cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jgze99

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

97 C1500 originally a 4.3

Hey guys, new here. I’ve been having issues with my instrument cluster. Rpm gauge doesn’t read at all, it does bounce up a bit on startup but that’s it. Temp gauge reads higher than what it should and everything else doesn’t work. High beam indicator, airbag and abs lights stay on. Also only half of the cluster lights up, but when I turn on my headlights that half goes dark and the other half lights up. I’m not sure if speedometer works since I’m not able to move the truck at the moment. I checked the ground under the steering wheel but that’s it. Do you guys have any idea of what it could be? I linked a video of the cluster above.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have a bad ground. Check the BIG THREE !!!! The indicative action of the directional pinging in time with the oil pressure gauge is a DEAD GIVEAWAY. Alternator gauge shows nothing. Big three !!!!

Jgze99

Reaction score
Solved the issue, check the harness that runs in the driver side frame rail. It goes all the way from the rear bumper to the engine bay. There are a few grounds along the harness so check those and check the 3 plugs near the firewall under the brake booster. I assume that they weren’t making good contact because the issue went away as soon as I unplugged them and reconnected them.