Electrical issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
About a week ago I had to put my truck in 4 wheel drive I have the electric push button and when I went to put it into 2wd all the lights started flashing to the 2hi 4lo 4hi and my radio screen started flashing I couldn’t figure it out so I left and came back the next day my radio turned on like always and it went it to 2wd and it was fine for about a week but yesterday I was just driving and the same thing happened checked all the fuses none are blown and my radio and 4x4 buttons won’t work at all my cigarette lighters quit working and then my gauge lights quit working I disconnected the battery so the computer could reset checked the fuses again none blown and don’t know how to go about the problem

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Loose ground on the left side of the dash (G202), can almost guarantee that. Nothing else takes out all of those things at the same time like that, they're all grounded in the same location.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. that sounds like a ground problem.
An intermittant where you loose power but then it comes back without a blown fuse could also be a positive side problem because of voltage drop but I would start with the grounds.
And I would also look at both battery cables first.
If they are the original factory gm side post cables that came with the truck they are probably bad no matter how good they look on the outside

Reaction score
Yep. that sounds like a ground problem.
An intermittant where you loose power but then it comes back without a blown fuse could also be a positive side problem because of voltage drop but I would start with the grounds.
And I would also look at both battery cables first.
If they are the original factory gm side post cables that came with the truck they are probably bad no matter how good they look on the outside
Checked the ground on driver side doesn’t seem to be loose I’m pretty sure my radio is getting power becuase my blue tooth will connect to it but the screen or lights don’t turn on I know it’s not the radio because I got another radio and had the same problem

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You cant just wiggle a gm sidepost and decide if is making contact
That plastic end will tighten down on to the battery terminal way before that thin little metal ring inside of it touches .
A gm sidepost will pass the wigle test right up until you tighten it a bit too much and it pulls the threads out of the battery.
Because that torque or tightening that you are feeling is not the ring terminal making contact.
What you are feeling is that plastic crushing against the standoff collar on the battery.
It may be tight, but it is not making a solid contact. This is what the gm sidepost looks like

Attachments

• 1710286455429982727083.jpg
    1710286455429982727083.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
You cant just wiggle a gm sidepost and decide if is making contact
That plastic end will tighten down on to the battery terminal way before that thin little metal ring inside of it touches .
A gm sidepost will pass the wigle test right up until you tighten it a bit too much and it pulls the threads out of the battery.
Because that torque or tightening that you are feeling is not the ring terminal making contact.
What you are feeling is that plastic crushing against the standoff collar on the battery.
It may be tight, but it is not making a solid contact. This is what the gm sidepost looks like
I know my battery terminals are tight my battery charges just fine I sit at a little over 14 volts