Need assistance!! Please, any input is welcome...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is the one you got:
MAS Distributor With Black Cap Replacement For Chevy GMC Cadillac Vortec V8 5.7L 5.0L 1996-2002 Direct Fit Aluminum Body 1104051 1104058 1104079 12570425 93441558 GM01 841829 301829
https://a.co/d/00T9UxM
Return it and get this:

UNITED MOTOR PRODUCTS 9362

Last edited:
Reaction score
You have an Amazon bought distributor, that you can’t remove the cap? Then how do you know the rotor can’t be removed? None of this makes sense. Send a link on that.
No it doesn't make sense at all! That's why I'm inquiring. Amazon is sold as on peice you can take it apart but it's comes sealed.

Reaction score
If this is the one you got:
MAS Distributor With Black Cap Replacement For Chevy GMC Cadillac Vortec V8 5.7L 5.0L 1996-2002 Direct Fit Aluminum Body 1104051 1104058 1104079 12570425 93441558 GM01 841829 301829
https://a.co/d/00T9UxM
Return it and get this:

UNITED MOTOR PRODUCTS 9362
Yes that's the one I got. It didn't even want to start. Sent it back this week, now back at square one. With the original distributor, that is apparently discontinued.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Clamp it in a vice and pound a slight bend around here

I think that Orpedcrow has sussed the problem with your distributor hold down -- it's too flat,
and because of this it can no longer provide the correct clamping force of the original factory clamp:

You must be registered for see images attach

NOTE: When your clamp lost this vertical curvature, it can also make the proper length
bolt bottom out too soon. (ie: Behaving as if it's too long.)

The solution is a fresh clamp in this condition, verify the correct length bolt is in play,
and then whatever distributor is available for your truck that has a base compatible
with this clamp. (Some? All? Your existing dizzy? *IDK*)

This way you can adjust your Cam (sensor) retard to 0° and then secure the distributor
no problem.

Please be sure to report back with what you came up with for your final fix.

Cheers --

EDIT: There's a another recent thread discussing a similar issue, & this may shed some
additional light on your snafu: (Aftermarket dizzy comes with nonadjustable clamp?)

Last edited:

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The hold is install correctly when in the vehicle this is not my first rodeo. Plus my mechanic is at a loss for it as well.
The distributor in the truck if your run the parts number on it. It is discontinued! And turns me toward the aftermarket, both of which wouldn't work.
The Amazon distrubtor was a MAS a single peice. You couldn't remove the cap or rotor, Avery was the other one and designed the same.
It doesnt matter if it is your first rodeo
I ****** up on about my 200 hundredth rodeo.
A few basics about distributor hold downs and distributor gaskets.
The distributor gasket is not a gasket.
It is a "friction washer" that is desingned to not only seal, but also through its friction composition it keeps the distributor from rotating.
They are available in various different thicknesses.
That friction washer sets the depth and lash between the dist gear and the cam gear.
The dist washer from a rebuild kit or the one that comes with an aftermarket chinese distributor will be as paper thin as they can make it.
Probably about .030 at best.
Some of them are .020.
And you can bend the hold down flat just by installing it upside down and tightening it one time.
That is all it takes because of those press brake form marks I talked about before.
Are you using the correct bolt?
Do you have the correct washer under that bolt?
Is the bolt bottoming out before it sets the hold down at the correct angle so that it clamps?
Is the hold down bent or cracked so that it doesnt clamp correctly?
You cant really depend on anyones part catolog number anymore.
Once a flawed number makes into the aftermarket database it will live forever across all suppliers.
It is such a vast and uncontrollable database.
You need to find those parts yourself and know what they are.
Thats just how it is these days.
If your mechanic cant figure it out?
Get a new mechanic.
And you need to be that mechanic.
If this guy isnt old enough to be your dad he probably doesnt know anything about the gmt400 platform.
Dont pay for his education when you can pay yourself how to learn it.
Paying a mechanic to work on a 25 or 30 year old truck is funking insane.
The whole point of owning a gmt400 is that you can do it yourself
I do understand your frustration.
But, you need to understand that you are assuming things.
You are skipping ahead while ignoring the possibility that your problem may be at the root and not some crazy flying what if this or what if that?
The only way to repair the truck is to become calm enough to understand the truck and to understand WHY you want to repair the truck
Unless you are filthy loaded rich, the thought of paying a mechanic to turn your ancient truck into a reliable daily driver is nuckking futz.
My only other piece of adice to you is that you should always remember that everyone on this forum is trying to help you.
When I first came onto this forum I did not understand that I needed to treat everyone with respect.
My early posts are so cringeworthy that I am surprised that I am still on here.
A couple of side conversations with mods who were very kind and very understanding to me and though they may not really know it.
They have let me spew a whole lot of mental grief and maybe some comedy and some stories all over this forum.
And I have great respect for them
They took a chance for me and allowed me to be a chucklehead.
This isnt just a forum about trucks.
This is also about the people who own those trucks.
Its just all about the heart and the soul
Thats all it is and thats all you need

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amen.

That friction washer sets the depth and lash between the dist gear and the cam gear.
Unlike distributor differential rings 'n' pinions, the distributor gear and the gear at the back of the cam are not tapered. The gasket/friction washer does affect the depth of the distributor, but not the lash between the two gears.

Get a new mechanic.
ALSO Amen.

If this guy isnt old enough to be your dad... ...is that you should always remember that everyone on this forum is trying to help you.
Well said.

I sometimes forget this. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A few basics about distributor hold downs and distributor gaskets.
The distributor gasket is not a gasket.
It is a "friction washer" that is desingned to not only seal, but also through its friction composition it keeps the distributor from rotating.
They are available in various different thicknesses.
The dist washer from a rebuild kit or the one that comes with an aftermarket chinese distributor will be as paper thin as they can make it.
Probably about .030 at best.
Some of them are .020.
And you can bend the hold down flat just by installing it upside down and tightening it one time.
That is all it takes because of those press brake form marks I talked about before.
Are you using the correct bolt?
Do you have the correct washer under that bolt?
Is the bolt bottoming out before it sets the hold down at the correct angle so that it clamps?
Is the hold down bent or cracked so that it doesnt clamp correctly?
You cant really depend on anyones part catolog number anymore.
Once a flawed number makes into the aftermarket database it will live forever across all suppliers.
It is such a vast and uncontrollable database.
You need to find those parts yourself and know what they are.
Thats just how it is these days.
Get a new mechanic.
If this guy isnt old enough to be your dad he probably doesnt know anything about the gmt400 platform.
Dont pay for his education when you can pay yourself how to learn it.
Paying a mechanic to work on a 25 or 30 year old truck is funking insane.
The whole point of owning a gmt400 is that you can do it yourself
I do understand your frustration.
But, you need to understand that you are assuming things.
You are skipping ahead while ignoring the possibility that your problem may be at the root and not some crazy flying what if this or what if that?
The only way to repair the truck is to become calm enough to understand the truck and to understand WHY you want to repair the truck
Unless you are filthy loaded rich, the thought of paying a mechanic to turn your ancient truck into a reliable daily driver is nuckking futz.
My only other piece of adice to you is that you should always remember that everyone on this forum is trying to help you.
When I first came onto this forum I did not understand that I needed to treat everyone with respect.
My early posts are so cringeworthy that I am surprised that I am still on here.
A couple of side conversations with mods who were very kind and very understanding to me and though they may not really know it.
They have let me spew a whole lot of mental grief and maybe some comedy and some stories all over this forum.
And I have great respect for them
They took a chance for me and allowed me to be a chucklehead.
Its just all about the heart and the soul
Thats all it is and thats all you need
Absolutely correct my good sir! This is my first distrubtor. And I've already learn a lot. And now it'll be even more since I join here. I had to join another one of these, to figure out an issue with my Lexus. So I figured I check out this, so far I really like this community better.
So much more user freindly. Lol!
Issue is almost fixed. The UMP 9362 distributor. Fits perfect, tracking down a timing light to get it final. Might as well, just buy one just bought a 75 Lincoln for a project going to need it eventually.