Need help… what is this dang thing!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking but can’t find it on any parts diagram or even pictures on Google look nothing like it. It’s got me stumped
Not sure what model truck you have, but the attached pics and parts list for an 88 C1500 should help with searching for the part(s) you need. If it’s just a plastic hose..get creative and make one.

Attachments

• IMG_5712.jpeg
    IMG_5712.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5711.jpeg
    IMG_5711.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 88 C1500 Parts List.pdf
    433 KB · Views: 4

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Maybe we should be required to use our VIN as our name. Kinda like a prisoner number. :D
If everyone had a way to decode, all good. BUT, I look at it this way, when you go in to a shop for a problem, the first thing they ask for, after your name, is vehicle information. Then they go to vehicle and get even more details, like VIN and such. If you come here to forum for help, I cannot and you cannot see the vehicle up close. The info should be supplied by whoever asks for help. So many of the askers think that EVERY GMT400 is the same.

To this day, when I have a customer at home, 75% of the time, the owner has no idea what the sub model is that they are driving and own. I have a 2021 Jeep Wrangler coming in tomorrow and to get some parts/fluids ahead of time I asked for complete info. He did not know that was driving a 2021 Jeep Wrangler SPORT. That makes a difference. He did not know that he had a 2.0 engine, instead of a 2.3 engine and that he had just a turbo and not a hybrid.

It can be frustrating because they just say, "can't you get that info when I get there". I said "sure, and because of that it will require me to make 2 trips to parts store and there is now 2 charges for that trip". I can't even get them to read THEIR owner's manual.

I charge accordingly.

Grandpa_truck

Reaction score
If everyone had a way to decode, all good. BUT, I look at it this way, when you go in to a shop for a problem, the first thing they ask for, after your name, is vehicle information. Then they go to vehicle and get even more details, like VIN and such. If you come here to forum for help, I cannot and you cannot see the vehicle up close. The info should be supplied by whoever asks for help. So many of the askers think that EVERY GMT400 is the same.

To this day, when I have a customer at home, 75% of the time, the owner has no idea what the sub model is that they are driving and own. I have a 2021 Jeep Wrangler coming in tomorrow and to get some parts/fluids ahead of time I asked for complete info. He did not know that was driving a 2021 Jeep Wrangler SPORT. That makes a difference. He did not know that he had a 2.0 engine, instead of a 2.3 engine and that he had just a turbo and not a hybrid.

It can be frustrating because they just say, "can't you get that info when I get there". I said "sure, and because of that it will require me to make 2 trips to parts store and there is now 2 charges for that trip". I can't even get them to read THEIR owner's manual.

I charge accordingly.
I put the motor info in with the picture but I should have known better than to not state what truck. When I worked at a dealership it used to drive me crazy when people didn’t give me all the info needed to accurately look up their vehicle. I added to my signature for future reference. Thanks for the heads up on that

Grandpa_truck

Reaction score
Not sure what model truck you have, but the attached pics and parts list for an 88 C1500 should help with searching for the part(s) you need. If it’s just a plastic hose..get creative and make one.
Very much appreciate that diagram. Just sourced some factory service manuals that should be here next week too
Truck is 88 Sierra 2wd with factory AC

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
@JDGMC got you on the right path. Some folks call that device a "diverter valve" for the smog pump. Depending on your local emissions laws you may be able to delete the smog pump. Many of them have simply croaked by now, anyway. GM omitted the pump on the later year TBI trucks because they found it wasn't needed to pass 49-state emissions. Can't speak for California. At any rate, a lot of these parts are obsolete and can be difficult to find new.

Richard

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If everyone had a way to decode, all good.
I wasn’t being serious. But, seriously, I agree with having correct information. I will say that at times, even giving the pertinent information to a garage or parts store, it can be equally frustrating when they read that information incorrectly.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If everyone had a way to decode, all good. BUT, I look at it this way, when you go in to a shop for a problem, the first thing they ask for, after your name, is vehicle information. Then they go to vehicle and get even more details, like VIN and such. If you come here for help, I cannot and you cannot see the vehicle up close. The info should be supplied by whoever asks for help. So many of the askers think that EVERY GMT400 is the same.
That'd be nice if anyone can decode a VIN but, pre-1990s aren't available anymore - even CompNine doesn't come up with it on my '88. A while back IIRC @One Ton of Fun was doing it for us at no charge but, there was a few earlier trucks he couldn't pull up.

Just sourced some factory service manuals that should be here next week too
You can get them now thanks to @hatzie and others ;)

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very much appreciate that diagram. Just sourced some factory service manuals that should be here next week too