Need assistance!! Please, any input is welcome...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Having a distributor issue with my 98 GMC Sierra, it's 5.7L 350.
So this distributor is what in the truck, when I got it. Everything I keep getting won't work but says it will in parts number.
The parts number from the one in the truck is 1104079 say that this distributor is discontinued. Was trying to solve dash light/cam sensor error code, now the cap doesn't stay on anymore, after two months of dealing with this. The hold down clamp I need it the Cresent moon, but every parts store and the goodle, give this straight one in the Amazon screen shots. This is a stupid issue, and ****
*******************done with it! About to just get an MSD, but even those have the straight hold down clamp!
Please input needed!

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 1000000403.jpg
    1000000403.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 16

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've got a stock, plastic-bodied Vortec distributor. They're well-known for having worn-out bushings, worn-out gears, and broken screw holes for the distributor cap.

You've got a United Motor Parts vented distributor cap, they seem well-regarded around here.

I have no idea why an aftermarket Vortec distributor won't work for you. Use whichever hold-down clamp fits the distributor. SOME distributors have a hold-down clamp that prevents the distributor from being turned. Seems like a bad idea to me.

Reaction score
You've got a stock, plastic-bodied Vortec distributor. They're well-known for having worn-out bushings, worn-out gears, and broken screw holes for the distributor cap.

You've got a United Motor Parts vented distributor cap, they seem well-regarded around here.

I have no idea why an aftermarket Vortec distributor won't work for you. Use whichever hold-down clamp fits the distributor. SOME distributors have a hold-down clamp that prevents the distributor from being turned. Seems like a bad idea to me.
The hold-down clamp is part of the problem. We've tried to use the hold-down off of my distributor, and it won't even hold the aftermarket.
And the aftermarket won't even work in it!
This is the dumbest automotive issue I've ever had!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hold-down clamp is part of the problem. We've tried to use the hold-down off of my distributor, and it won't even hold the aftermarket.
WHICH aftermarket distributor do you have? Brand name and part number. Did it come with a hold-down clamp?

And the aftermarket won't even work in it!
Huh? What does this mean?

I used a hold down from a TBI engine on my '98 UMP distributor and it works just fine.
Yeah, that's what I'd expect.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just going off of what I can see from your pictures.
Are you sure that you dont have the hold down installed upside down.
The "fingers" should point down and not up.
The hold down should look like a hand with closed fingers gripping onto the distributor and not fingers turning up at the ends like an upside down palm.
Just from the grease pattern I see and that I cant really detect where the bolt pattern is.
When you look at that hold down you will see two "Crimp marks" on the legs.
Those are the form marks from the press.
Those kinks need to be down so that the legs are pushing down on the distributor body.
If those legs are up, the clamp cant put downward pressure on the distributor and it will not seat into place and it will rotate.
An upside down chevy distributor hold down is very very common.

Reaction score
The hold is install correctly when in the vehicle this is not my first rodeo. Plus my mechanic is at a loss for it as well.
The distributor in the truck if your run the parts number on it. It is discontinued! And turns me toward the aftermarket, both of which wouldn't work.
The Amazon distrubtor was a MAS a single peice. You couldn't remove the cap or rotor, Avery was the other one and designed the same.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Amazon distrubtor was a MAS a single peice. You couldn't remove the cap or rotor, Avery was the other one and designed the same.
You have an Amazon bought distributor, that you can’t remove the cap? Then how do you know the rotor can’t be removed? None of this makes sense. Send a link on that.