AC Rebuild Input please-condenser yes or no

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reega

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally under vacuum tonight. First pump with clean oil only pulled 25-27. Thought it was the HF gauge set. Got a loaner and also said 25. Even though the rental pump from Oreilly looked great with new oil, it wouldn’t pull more than that. Second gauge set confirmed. 2nd rental pump from AZ got me to 28-29 ish, also supplied with new oil. 1st pull

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the Reach didn’t look like the picture, but it fit in the factory mounts.

I had the same problem. I filled that void between the radiator support and the condenser so as to promote airflow through the condenser (instead of around it). I used a piece I cut from an aluminum sheet I had lying around.

Finally under vacuum tonight. <snip> 2nd rental pump from AZ got me to 28-29 ish, also supplied with new oil. 1st pull

What's your elevation? You'll get nearly 30" (29.9" reportedly) at sea level and lose about 1" for every 1000' of elevation (that approximation's only good to about 6000 or 7000 thousand feed). If there's a hurricane nearby, then less. If you're in Death Valley, then more.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another thing pertaining to gauge sets. Most are not correctly zero'd to start with. Even changes in ambient pressure can make one need to re-zero the gauges.

Reega

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem. I filled that void between the radiator support and the condenser so as to promote airflow through the condenser (instead of around it). I used a piece I cut from an aluminum sheet I had lying around.

What's your elevation? You'll get nearly 30" (29.9" reportedly) at sea level and lose about 1" for every 1000' of elevation (that approximation's only good to about 6000 or 7000 thousand feed). If there's a hurricane nearby, then less. If you're in Death Valley, then more.

Right at 1000 feet, I’m happy with where the second pump pulled it to. Gonna let it sit another day and call it good.

Attachments

• IMG_5497.jpeg
    IMG_5497.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 7

Reega

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thing pertaining to gauge sets. Most are not correctly zero'd to start with. Even changes in ambient pressure can make one need to re-zero the gauges.
L31, would you care to share your calibration method?