AC accumulator problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ebxgsxr

Reaction score
so i was trying to fix some AC leaks...one of which was the AC hose assembly. i noticed some dye around the switch hooking to the accumulator. since i was replacing the hose and the switch, i thought i would do the right thing and replace the accumulator as well. but i should have left it alone, and my AC would be working fine now. but when i tried to remove the accumulator from the line coming out of the firewall, instead of the nut coming loose, it actually twisted that line and in doing so, kinked it and put a small hole in it.

so how screwed am i? not sure what that line connects to behind the dash. is it even replaceable? anyone have any suggestions so i can get the AC working in this thing before the weather gets warmer?

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AC accumulator connects to one of the lines coming out of the evaporator core. That line is not replaceable as it is brazed(?) onto the evaporator core.

You'll need to replace the evaporator core, which would require removing the entire dash and also recovering, evacuating, and recharging the AC system. (I think there are some who say that you don't need to remove the dash, but I'm not familiar with that.)

In other words, it's one hell of a mistake. You live and you learn.

When you replace the evaporator core and AC accumulator, apply some Nylog Blue to the fitting threads (same spot where the incident occurred). Should help prevent such an incident in the future.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, it is recommended to replace the accumulator when you open the system. The accumulator is the moisture filter for the system. You have damaged the evaporator and is no fun to deal with. What I worry about is that you do not know the component names of the a/c system and therefore you may also be unsure of the dash disassembly process for the evaporator replacement. There is lots to deal with when doing the evaporator replacement and lots to disassemble. Lots to maybe, maybe not get correct when reassemble.

You did not share the vehicle info that you are working on. If you would do that, someone that has a vehicle like that may be able to share some insight. Every OBS GMT400 is not the exact same under the dash.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, your screwed. If don't have the OE service manual, now is the perfect time to download it. Read the sections on HVAC, and evaporator replacement. Aluminum, soft threads, so prone to siezing. Aluminum fittings rule no 1. One wrench to hold steady and support one fitting. And one wrench to turn other fitting for removal or install. Let not any line or hose be twisted, for it is a sin ye shall be mightily punished.
Been there , done that , got the blood stained T shirt.

ebxgsxr

Reaction score
What I worry about is that you do not know the component names of the a/c system and therefore you may also be unsure of the dash disassembly process for the evaporator replacement. There is lots to deal with when doing the evaporator replacement and lots to disassemble. Lots to maybe, maybe not get correct when reassemble.

You did not share the vehicle info that you are working on. If you would do that, someone that has a vehicle like that may be able to share some insight. Every OBS GMT400 is not the exact same under the dash.

i have a 1998 K1500.

thanks for the input everyone. i'm definitely not confident enough to replace the evaporator with what is involved. i will have to check with my friend that owns a shop on what that would run to replace it for me.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
i have a 1998 K1500.

thanks for the input everyone. i'm definitely not confident enough to replace the evaporator with what is involved. i will have to check with my friend that owns a shop on what that would run to replace it for me.
If you have the mechanical aptitude and the tools and the desire, watch a few you tube videos for this work and see if you want to tackle it.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have a 1998 K1500.
Here’s how I pulled the dash on my 98. It’s nothing difficult, just takes some time.

On the plus side, you can swap out the likely deteriorated dampers when you swap the evaporator and end up with a better functioning system.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The evaporator core needs to be replaced. For anyone reading this, about to attempt an a/c repair on their own. HEAT and penetrating oil. Heat the steel tube nut, put some penetrant on it and repeat 3-4 times, then let it cool down to room temperature. That previously seized nut will generally spin out like butter. I use a water soaked rag wrapped around the tube where it goes through the firewall. Same trick works for those difficult to remove liquid lines as well.

Last edited:

ebxgsxr

Reaction score
The evaporator core needs to be replaced. For anyone reading this, about to attempt an a/c repair on their own. HEAT and penetrating oil. Heat the steel tube nut, put some penetrant on it and repeat 3-4 times, then let it cool down to room temperature. That previously seized nut will generally spin out like butter. I use a water soaked rag wrapped around the tuber where it goes through the firewall. Same trick works for those difficult to remove liquid lines as well.
lol. i wish i asked this question BEFORE i tried to replace it. and got this info lol. hope others can learn from my mistake.