Neighbor helps with AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So have new AC Delco compressor, Orifice tube , Accumulator, seals all the stuff. I start under hood the compressor being a little to get out. Those split insert washers are gripping the compressor. And my neighbor friend, IT guy, or Accountant . Stops by , were talking cars and stuff. So, I say I'm going to get a spreader to slip the compressor out. Ok. I come back and he tried to help by prying on the end of the cast aluminum end.
He chose poorly.
He broke my mount..,.....
Snapped the corner right off.
Be warned, do gooders are all around us it's mine field of good intentions.
And cast peices can break. Not brake.
You must be registered for see images attach

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually a little PB Blaster on those bushings an a couple light whacks on the edge of the compressor body with a plastic dead blow hammer loosens them right up. My learning moment was the two notches in the pulley and the flats on the bolt head flanges having to be lined up to get the bolts out.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Usually a little PB Blaster on those bushings an a couple light whacks on the edge of the compressor body with a plastic dead blow hammer loosens them right up. My learning moment was the two notches in the pulley and the flats on the bolt head flanges having to be lined up to get the bolts out.
Watched someone break their A/C bracket prying on it. Amazing that they can last beyond the lifetime of the truck under normal use, but look at it sideways and *pow*

Also sold a couple brackets to folks that had broke theirs (TBI era) by trying to turn the bolt heads on the front, instead of holding them in place with a backup wrench, and turning the nuts on the back. There's little tabs cast into the bracket to hold the bolt. Attempting to turn them forcibly often ends badly..

Richard