My K1500 DD Tow Pig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Last week I went out to the hangar to grab a spare pressure plate for the Camaro and on the way this thing started shuddering, farting, and unlocked the torque converter. In no mood to deal with it, I tossed the plate in the Corvette and drove that home. Sunday I went back to try and datalog misfires to give me an idea where to look but the damn laptop wouldn't connect to it. Tried again today, same, but a Snapon Solus was available to borrow today and it pointed me to cylinders 2 and 8. They happen to live next to one another and come in close contact inside the distributor cap, so I gave that a whirl with a new rotor and it was back to its old self. I bought pieces with brass contacts, hoping those live longer than. The aluminum that was on there.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Last week I went out to the hangar to grab a spare pressure plate for the Camaro and on the way this thing started shuddering, farting, and unlocked the torque converter. In no mood to deal with it, I tossed the plate in the Corvette and drove that home. Sunday I went back to try and datalog misfires to give me an idea where to look but the damn laptop wouldn't connect to it. Tried again today, same, but a Snapon Solus was available to borrow today and it pointed me to cylinders 2 and 8. They happen to live next to one another and come in close contact inside the distributor cap, so I gave that a whirl with a new rotor and it was back to its old self. I bought pieces with brass contacts, hoping those live longer than. The aluminum that was on there.
The cheaper rotors with the aluminum stuff inside, would only last six months on the Burb. The Blue Streak rotor, with brass contacts and better dielectric strength plastic, last two years. That's driving it every day in Houston, Texas area, sometimes in traffic but always hot and humid.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The cheaper rotors with the aluminum stuff inside, would only last six months on the Burb. The Blue Streak rotor, with brass contacts and better dielectric strength plastic, last two years. That's driving it every day in Houston, Texas area, sometimes in traffic but always hot and humid.

O Really's had a Blue Streak rotor and it had an aluminum contact! I remembered you'd mentioned Blue Streak in your thread and was surprised to see that, so went with the O Reilly's cap and rotor that came with the brass.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
O Really's had a Blue Streak rotor and it had an aluminum contact! I remembered you'd mentioned Blue Streak in your thread and was surprised to see that, so went with the O Reilly's cap and rotor that came with the brass.
Hmmm, Maybe Blue Streak ain't what it used to be.....for Rawhide I got the UMP vented Cap and rotor, together it's like a buck extra for the rotor. Works great!!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Today I finally did something I should have done before it got hot: tinted windows.

You must be registered for see images attach

It's just the fronts. From the outside they're an excellent match with the factory tinted rears. From the inside you can tell the fronts are just a touch darker. They not ridiculously dark either, I'm really happy with my $22 purchase at the pull and pay. Since I had the doors apart I finally added the wiring for the blinkers in the mirrors. Tomorrow I'll clean and reinstall the door panels, they're long overdue for a good cleaning.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today I finally did something I should have done before it got hot: tinted windows.

It's just the fronts. From the outside they're an excellent match with the factory tinted rears. From the inside you can tell the fronts are just a touch darker. They not ridiculously dark either, I'm really happy with my $22 purchase at the pull and pay. Since I had the doors apart I finally added the wiring for the blinkers in the mirrors. Tomorrow I'll clean and reinstall the door panels, they're long overdue for a good cleaning.
That's something I've been putting off for way too long. Tint isn't near as expensive as I thought it would be, I just need to man up and pull the trigger

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's something I've been putting off for way too long. Tint isn't near as expensive as I thought it would be, I just need to man up and pull the trigger

Both my crew cabs have them. The dually doesn't seem to work as hard to keep it's cool, I figure the windows must play a part. Well, that and it's white.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Both my crew cabs have them. The dually doesn't seem to work as hard to keep it's cool, I figure the windows must play a part. Well, that and it's white.
That's a big factor, both of my trucks are dark; the crew cab has some tint on it but not much and it definitely keeps a little cooler than the red truck since it's a fishbowl and dark red.
I just wish the AC worked in the crew cab, I charged up the AC in the red truck and I forgot how nice it is.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you have a leak, just make a cheap hose like I did. I put 40 psi into the AC system and sprayed simple green to look for leaks.

Beats chasing freon. Once you think the leaks are fixed, put a vacuum on it and recharge.

Today I cleaned and reinstalled the door panels. Years ago when I decided to use the pressure washer to clean the door panels on my flipper dually (same truck I made that hose for), I lamented how much cleaner they came out than the panels on this truck. Today that changed. This was the nastier of the 2 as is to be expected. It really wasn't terrible, but it was grimy from my forearm. Here's how it came out.

The bottom was also kinda nasty where my foot would rest against it. I just dumped a bucket of laundry soap water on it, raked it with a bristle brush, and pressure washed the nasty away. Here's another shot trying to capture how, from the outside in, the windows really match up nicely.

At this point I'd given it a bath too. Also got the mirror blinkers wired up and vacuumed the driver's side and wiped down the interior. I wish I did this more often, even with the hail damage this old truck still cleans up nice.