My K1500 DD Tow Pig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a leak, just make a cheap hose like I did. I put 40 psi into the AC system and sprayed simple green to look for leaks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Beats chasing freon. Once you think the leaks are fixed, put a vacuum on it and recharge.

Today I cleaned and reinstalled the door panels. Years ago when I decided to use the pressure washer to clean the door panels on my flipper dually (same truck I made that hose for), I lamented how much cleaner they came out than the panels on this truck. Today that changed. This was the nastier of the 2 as is to be expected. It really wasn't terrible, but it was grimy from my forearm. Here's how it came out.

The bottom was also kinda nasty where my foot would rest against it. I just dumped a bucket of laundry soap water on it, raked it with a bristle brush, and pressure washed the nasty away. Here's another shot trying to capture how, from the outside in, the windows really match up nicely.

At this point I'd given it a bath too. Also got the mirror blinkers wired up and vacuumed the driver's side and wiped down the interior. I wish I did this more often, even with the hail damage this old truck still cleans up nice.
I like your wheels, I haven't seen any like those before. Did you paint them to match the grey sills because that's what makes them look like they were made for it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I like your wheels, I haven't seen any like those before. Did you paint them to match the grey sills because that's what makes them look like they were made for it.

Thanks. They're Summit Racing Nomad wheels, 17x9". Years ago when I'd installed the semi smoked headlight housings I wanted a wheel that was also somewhat muted. I found these on Summit and they're actually my second set. First was 16x8. I like how they're not blingy but also not drab.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That color match *does* make it look like the wheels are an integral part of the 2-tone paint.

It's the small details like this that make an older truck really stand out to me. Nice!

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's the compressor that's leaking, one of the belly leaker ones I think they're called? The truck had probably a year on an all new AC system when I bought it.
Might give the leak test a shot though. Same with the door panels, mine are a little dirty from work but I'm usually good at keeping them wiped down.

Also, this truck needs a few more lugs imo... it's perfect now, but it could be more perfect.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I never noticed the way the wheels play off of the 2 tone. We'll chalk that up as a happy accident, I'm not usually so good at coordinating stuff like that!

And I have contemplated a frame swap, they appear to be locally available, but then time. . .

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sick. Yeah... time...so much time...

If it was my only project it would have been done years ago, but my to do list is anything but short. In fact it's the plow truck that's highly likely to get a frame swap this winter. Right after I put a transmission in the dually. Wrapped somewhere around sticking a bigger cam in the Z06. And that's barely scratching the surface.