My first car, an 89 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I just now got done with lots of work on my 89 GMC Sierra. She's my first car and I love her. She's got the 3800 series V6, EFI, and manual 5 spd (4spd w/ overdrive, NV3500???). So far I've dumped over 2000 bucks into her over the course of a few months after buying her for 500 bucks out of a field.

The first things I had to do was replace the fuel pump and starter, and rebuild the EFI. After that she ran and drove the 20 or 30 miles home. When I was crawling around under the truck to get the fuel tank out I noticed the transfer case was busted in half, so I replaced it with a junkyard case and it works now. I've also put tires, a toolbox, new brakes, fluid changes, a tune up, new ignition tubler, new brake light switch, new license plate lights, and I have a ladder rack to put on it since I'm always doing runs to the home depot for lumber.

I've had a blast with reparing and driving this old farm truck, and I feel I've done a great job with getting her back on the road.

Although I am mechanically inclined, there are some things that are currently beyond my skill level. The main issue I have that I am unable to figure out is my speedometer doesn't work. I replaced the speed sensor thinking maybe the one on my junkyard TC was bad, but that didn't help. I've read that these moon gauges are known for this issue. What is the best option for me? I was considering a new digital display from speedway motors, but that is currently out of my budget. Should I take the gamble of a junkyard cluster? Or maybe switch it to a later model display with the separate module?

Also, one more question. Will a hood from a 99 taho fit this truck? I want to rob a hood off of one that has the rear facing scoop so my engine bay breathes a little better to improve fuel efficiency, plus it looks sweet.

Here's a pick of the truck. The paint is trash, which I am gonna redo this summer when it's warm. But overall the body is clean with a little rust above the rear wheels. The interior is in good shape aside from the dirt and torn seat.

You must be registered for see images attach

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
MY transmission also rattles pretty sinkin loud when in neutral and when high up in speed ranges. Maybe a guide bearing or input shaft bearing?

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I just now got done with lots of work on my 89 GMC Sierra. She's my first car and I love her. She's got the 3800 series V6, EFI,

How did you get a wrong wheel drive Buick engine in a truck?
You sure its not a 4.3 TBI?

Will a hood from a 99 taho fit this

Yes, direct bolt on: 88-98 pickups, 92-99 SUVs, but not the Denali/Escalade...

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome from Alberta Canada

As @Nad_Yvalhosert pointed out, it's most likely a 4.3, if not, we definitely need some pictures.

If you haven't done so already, go to the engine and performance section, there is a "sticky" thread there with all the factory service repair manuals there available for download. They should have a section in them that should help fix your speedo issue.

If the hood you are looking at is a cowl induction one, that's a cool score. Should fit no problem.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Was gonna ask the same thing. Bet is a 4.3 engine. Could also have a release bearing making noise. Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
you could get a rwd 3.8l v6 from a 4th gen f body car firebird/camaro I do not know if it 60 degree or 90 degree also do not know what bellhouseing it used I think the engines first year offered in these cars was 95 and they stayed till the end of production with the end of the 2002 model year

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Was gonna ask the same thing. Bet is a 4.3 engine. Could also have a release bearing making noise. Welcome to the forum from Oregon.
you could get a rwd 3.8l v6 from a 4th gen f body car firebird/camaro I do not know if it 60 degree or 90 degree also do not know what bellhouseing it used I think the engines first year offered in these cars was 95 and they stayed till the end of production with the end of the 2002 model yeyear
Oops, I was thinking of the engine I have for a project car I sold. It is a 3800 from an 81 camaro lol. Yeah, it is the 4.3l v6 lol. Sorry for the mix up.

Last edited:

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Welcome from Alberta Canada

As @Nad_Yvalhosert pointed out, it's most likely a 4.3, if not, we definitely need some pictures.

If you haven't done so already, go to the engine and performance section, there is a "sticky" thread there with all the factory service repair manuals there available for download. They should have a section in them that should help fix your speedo issue.

If the hood you are looking at is a cowl induction one, that's a cool score. Should fit no problem.
Cool, thanks. I'll have to litch the idea to my dad since the taho belongs to him. You can actually see it in the background of the photo I posted. I just don't wanna spend the 400 bucks on one from speedway if I can help it.
Where at in Oregon? I'm over on the far east side. I actually bought the truck in Idaho.