My first car, an 89 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome from Alberta Canada

As @Nad_Yvalhosert pointed out, it's most likely a 4.3, if not, we definitely need some pictures.

If you haven't done so already, go to the engine and performance section, there is a "sticky" thread there with all the factory service repair manuals there available for download. They should have a section in them that should help fix your speedo issue.

If the hood you are looking at is a cowl induction one, that's a cool score. Should fit no problem.
Thanks, I'll check out the manuals. I hope it's something simple.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Cool, thanks. I'll have to litch the idea to my dad since the taho belongs to him. You can actually see it in the background of the photo I posted. I just don't wanna spend the 400 bucks on one from speedway if I can help it.

Where at in Oregon? I'm over on the far east side. I actually bought the truck in Idaho.
I am in Eugene, Oregon. You live in Christmas Valley area?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No, when I say east Oregon, I mean a 20 minute walk from Idaho. I live in a little town called nyssa
Yep, heard of it but never been there. Luckily, I do not live near the hell hole of downtown Eugene, where the denizens of the dark live. Politics of the area allow it but that area keeps the senses on high alert. I am wanting to stay in Oregon but move farther out of the area. Maybe even move to the coast.

If you ever need ECM/PCM tuning, there is a great company in Idaho in Coeur d'Alene called Black Bear Performance. I have a Traditional Tune on my 05 Tahoe Z71 from them.

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, heard of it but never been there. Luckily, I do not live near the hell hole of downtown Eugene, where the denizens of the dark live. Politics of the area allow it but that area keeps the senses on high alert. I am wanting to stay in Oregon but move farther out of the area. Maybe even move to the coast.

If you ever need ECM/PCM tuning, there is a great company in Idaho in Coeur d'Alene called Black Bear Performance. I have a Traditional Tune on my 05 Tahoe Z71 from them.
I hate the politics here in Oregon. All the big cities on the west side make all the rules that make living in the rural areas harder.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you could get a rwd 3.8l v6 from a 4th gen f body car firebird/camaro I do not know if it 60 degree or 90 degree also do not know what bellhouseing it used I think the engines first year offered in these cars was 95 and they stayed till the end of production with the end of the 2002 model year

3800 is indeed a 60° V6 and the bellhousing is certainly not "small block chevy".

And incidentally, the block can be used in both WWD & RWD.

I once fantasized about removing a factory forged internals, 3800 supercharged engine from a... say 2005ish Monte SS. Strip off the roots blower, slap it into an F-body with a centrifugal blower for a to-&-from work commuter. It's gotta be better fuel economy than my lifted '95 2wd 2500 SVC body behemoth.

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If anyone has any advice or pointers to keep this teuck going as long as I can, I'm all ears. This truck, although it isn't fast by any means, is a riot to drive and is easy to work on, and I would like to keep it in the fleet as long as I can.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, what @Caman96 said. Do all fluids. Get them to a base timeframe. How old are all the ignition components? When you decide to do the coolant change, pressure test first and look at the water pump weep hole for corrosion/leaks and when empty, put a thermostat in it. Check the fan clutch. Belts and hoses. Check the axle boots for leaks/tears. Check the front hub bearings for play. Inspect the entire suspension and steering. I like spending other people's money.