first truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph R

Reaction score
About 3 months ago i went and picked up my first truck, for about a year before i did i knew i wanted a obs obviously. all my buddies had them and we were always working on them and i started to learn a lot of specific things about them and i can’t stop learning about them they are so cool. anyway my best friends is a 98 5.0 5 speed, so obviously a 5 speed was a must when i was looking for a truck but the 6.5 TD thing was an impulse move. i had seen the truck up for sale for probably almost a year but wasn’t interested in it for some reason until the one time i looked at it again and just fell in love for some reason. i told my parents that the first truck i wanted was a 95 gmc 3500 extended cab dually with a 6.5 TD and a 5 speed. i messaged the guy and went to look at it about 2 days later, it had its problems but i fell in love with the truck and i did not care i had to have it. i did research on the 6.5’s the days before i picked it up and it already has a relocated pmd and small stuff problems like that that 6.5’s have. but so far 3 months into owning it other than having my starter threads in my block redone i haven’t had any problems with it and can’t wait to start building it. on the other hand i don’t know a whole lot about the truck, i know it was swapped to a 6.5 and i decoded my vin and it says it was originally a 350 but still originally a 5 speed. but it also has a diesel cluster with the lower redline and it’s still a manual cluster so i don’t know it it really was originally a 350 i need to decode it through another website to make sure but it’s a 95 6.5 TD 5 speed manual extended cab dually and it’s canadian, the cluster is all in metric and it has a cool stripe down the side that i was told was custom factory ordered but i’m not sure i kinda think it was a dealer option, as well as pinstripes behind the wing windows and down the whole side of the truck by body line on the top half of the truck (the same style as all the other ones i’ve seen going down the side right there, i’ve just never seen them in the silver and teal) but let me know what you think! it’s definitely an interesting truck and would love to know more about it.
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
Cool truck, I can tell you a few things about it by looking at the SPID sticker. GT5 is 4.10 gears, JB8 is the heavy duty hydro boost power brakes, and G80 is the limited slip differential. If it was a 350 originally, I think it would have an L05 code(think that's TBI 5.7) and I don't see that. More likely that it probably is a diesel truck originally (350 duallies are pretty rare).

Joseph R

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
Cool truck, I can tell you a few things about it by looking at the SPID sticker. GT5 is 4.10 gears, JB8 is the heavy duty hydro boost power brakes, and G80 is the limited slip differential. If it was a 350 originally, I think it would have an L05 code(think that's TBI 5.7) and I don't see that. More likely that it probably is a diesel truck originally (350 duallies are pretty rare).
Yeah, I know 350 duallies are pretty rare but most of the vin decoder websites cost money so I only did the free one, so I wasn't sure if it was even right. Before I bought the truck I had him send me the rpo codes so I could go through them so I knew about the rear end and stuff but thank you, I'm really curious about the paint because some of it is definitely vinyl and not paint and I haven't been able to find anything on any forums here or anywhere online about the tribal type stipe.