My K1500 DD Tow Pig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Today I did a couple long overdue things: I cleaned the inside and fixed 4lo.

You must be registered for see images attach

It still cleans up alright for a 300,000 mile truck. Took a couple good hours though, I vacuumed and shampooed most of it. Good for another year or 2! I really don't remember the last time I vacuumed, likely last year. Still way less nasty than the plow truck was when I got it. Next was 4lo, I was gonna do it the hard way starting over with a custom operating system and then dragging over all the engine and transmission stuff because supposedly 4lo is buried in the system segment. Then I had an epiphany: why not just segment swap the system segment into my tune from a 4wd GMT800? So I did that and it worked! Why TF didn't I do this 10 years ago?! Last year I just plugged the t-case VSS to the rear trans sensor as this trans started life as a 2wd unit so had the correct reluctor in there for it. Plow truck and dually don't have that, this was a proof of concept to get them 4lo. Truck now shifts normally in 4lo AND the speedo reads correctly. That was the one thing I was missing by plugging the rear VSS into the trans. So now the plow truck 411 swap can proceed and I'll be doing some monkeying around with the dually tune now too. It's going to migrate over to the same OS as the blue truck, this is a better OS anyway. @BNielsen @Mangonesailor and anyone else 4wd with a 411, if your 4lo doesn't work right this is the way. But I think I seem to recall HPT has the 4lo tables unlocked in their software?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never had any trouble with 4Lo not working after my swap? Hell for a while I had to rely on 2Lo purely since my front diff quit locking. Everything worked fine for me after my 0411; although my truck is a push-button, maybe something is different between floor shift trucks and push-button?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did you start with a van tune? The vans were 2wd and didn't have the 4lo shift stuff populated. My 1500 is push button as well.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lextech does do something to make it 4x4, but I'm pretty sure it's nothing really special. This whole segment swap deal used to be something you'd do in HPtuners but I think that went away in version 2 or 3 of the software.

But the 4x4 tables are unlocked in ours. We can modify the shift points and all that as we please. Which is nice, especially if we re-gear or swap tire sizes.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Lextech posted a .cax file eons ago for the 411 that has a 4x4 button you can turn on, but it doesn't do anything. I'm not sure what the deal is with that.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today I did a couple long overdue things: I cleaned the inside and fixed 4lo.

You must be registered for see images attach

It still cleans up alright for a 300,000 mile truck. Took a couple good hours though, I vacuumed and shampooed most of it. Good for another year or 2! I really don't remember the last time I vacuumed, likely last year. Still way less nasty than the plow truck was when I got it. Next was 4lo, I was gonna do it the hard way starting over with a custom operating system and then dragging over all the engine and transmission stuff because supposedly 4lo is buried in the system segment. Then I had an epiphany: why not just segment swap the system segment into my tune from a 4wd GMT800? So I did that and it worked! Why TF didn't I do this 10 years ago?! Last year I just plugged the t-case VSS to the rear trans sensor as this trans started life as a 2wd unit so had the correct reluctor in there for it. Plow truck and dually don't have that, this was a proof of concept to get them 4lo. Truck now shifts normally in 4lo AND the speedo reads correctly. That was the one thing I was missing by plugging the rear VSS into the trans. So now the plow truck 411 swap can proceed and I'll be doing some monkeying around with the dually tune now too. It's going to migrate over to the same OS as the blue truck, this is a better OS anyway. @BNielsen @Mangonesailor and anyone else 4wd with a 411, if your 4lo doesn't work right this is the way. But I think I seem to recall HPT has the 4lo tables unlocked in their software?

Now this has me curious, I'm going to have to open my tune and see what it shows for 4lo. As far as I know everything functions correctly.