My K1500 DD Tow Pig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would that TPS give a rock solid datalog?
It could provide a rock-solid reading in a datalog and still be sending a garbage signal to the computer. Remember the actual PCM code and processor run at a much higher rate than the data stream sample rate.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is odd behavior.

My 11:1 383 devours some timing when it is cool outside on 93 octane as well. I finally ran the old E85 out of it and ran it tonight on pump 93. It was at 32* and no signs of detonation. Previously it had a little detonation if I brought the timing in too quickly in hot weather with the Rhoads lifters in it. I pull a fair bit out of the IAT tables as well. If you have not already done this, it would be better for you if you had the 2-bar T-Map. Hook up the IAT inside the T-map rather than the normal IAT. You could pull the actual intake charge temp post supercharger. I know how to calculate the Linear and Offset calculations from the data points Bosch provides with the T-map to work with the GM PCMs.

My predicted/delivered torque output runs low on my engine. Once I had it where the fueling was accurate, I was showing 50-100 ft/lbs less with the 0411 than it was making and the P59 is showing about the same. I ended up beefing up the line pressure map to make sure that I would not slip the clutches in the transmission. I think the issue is that the 383 is making really good BSFC numbers at WOT and thus my VE and MAF values are lower than an engine that has a higher BSFC. I am considering lying to the computer about the injector size, telling it that it has larger injectors than it does to lean it out and increasing the airflow calculations. The lower airflow values jack with alot of other things and I feel if I have to lie to it somewhere, might as well be the injector flow calibration.

This is what I have in mine timing wise now. Seems like alot of timing down low, but it is never under ~1,500 with any real load and the converter instantly flashes 2,000+ if the load is high enough to end up in that 0.60+ gm/cyl range at low rpm. The added timing really makes it come alive off-idle. It also really likes the high idle timing.
You must be registered for see images attach
Have you used a pressure gauge to check your line pressure?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I first put it in years ago and it would knock your head off on upshifts, bark the tires and rattle the windows. I have not recently though. No real need to put a gauge on it now, I know what to send it for EPC values as well as how they correlate to what pressure on this transmission as well as know how to log slip, shift time error and shift adaptive information.

Wnen I first put the transmission in 10 years ago I used the 4l80E tuning guide. What a joke that was. Where people were suggesting deleting the torque management fully and setting the command shift times to Zero. Have you ever see ~300 hp Van bark the tires everywhere above 1/2 throttle on the 1-2 shift anywhere between 30 and 50 mph and also chirp 3rd at 90? It knocked the 8.5 rear out of it a short while later after it had taken that abuse.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea you would see it in a datalog if it had issues.. Just my first thought on it.
Do you have H0101 and H0104 from bluecat software?
Not necessarily. As I mentioned earlier the PCM runs much more quickly than the datastream it throws out. I have had to scope sensors with an Oscilloscope to find issues that did not show up in a datalog.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yea you would see it in a datalog if it had issues.. Just my first thought on it.
Do you have H0101 and H0104 from bluecat software?

Man, I do not recall these responses to this thread back when I was running into this. I have the Bluecat tool and intend to run it. I feel it'll help clean up a couple quirky spots in my trans tune. I'm not sure what 101 and 104 are though, would have to exercise some google fu there.

I have not, but I also have not had any reason outside of this to suspect anything mechanically afoul. I did buy one last year to aid in troubleshooting the dually, but after more research have come to the conclusion I have pump to forward hub wear, smoked overrun clutches, and a smoked intermediate band on it.

I need to go rip on the truck some more, I feel like it pulls this crap mostly right after a reflash.

Now for the reason I dug this up today, I hit a milestone. But I missed the pic by 7 miles.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Man, I do not recall these responses to this thread back when I was running into this. I have the Bluecat tool and intend to run it. I feel it'll help clean up a couple quirky spots in my trans tune. I'm not sure what 101 and 104 are though, would have to exercise some google fu there.

I have not, but I also have not had any reason outside of this to suspect anything mechanically afoul. I did buy one last year to aid in troubleshooting the dually, but after more research have come to the conclusion I have pump to forward hub wear, smoked overrun clutches, and a smoked intermediate band on it.

I need to go rip on the truck some more, I feel like it pulls this crap mostly right after a reflash.

Now for the reason I dug this up today, I hit a milestone. But I missed the pic by 7 miles.

300K, just broken in good.... congratulations! I hope to get there with both of mine.....

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Welcome to the club. It feels like a alot of miles until one of the guys with 400K says something. I'm at 301K now. My odometer has moved very slowly the last few years, since since I stopped daily driving it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I picked up some tinted side windows for this at the pull and pay a couple weekends ago. And just today on the way out to the hangar I had a newer Dodge 2500 Cummins try and take me in the right lane where it necks down from 2 to 1 lane. Old Blue Balls wasn't having it, ran him up to 80 before he caved and fell in behind me. I immediately regretted not giving him the Paul Walker stare when we were side by side.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I picked up some tinted side windows for this at the pull and pay a couple weekends ago. And just today on the way out to the hangar I had a newer Dodge 2500 Cummins try and take me in the right lane where it necks down from 2 to 1 lane. Old Blue Balls wasn't having it, ran him up to 80 before he caved and fell in behind me. I immediately regretted not giving him the Paul Walker stare when we were side by side.
Gotta keep them Cummins boys in check lol