Mild 350 TBI Build Advice/Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5SPD350

Reaction score
The first link SCOTTYINWV definitley had a lot of good info, thanks for that. Helped me understand V.E. much better, and I now know the 620CFM TBI would work with the combo I suggested, which the entire combo basically follows the guidelines in that link. Only thing it didn't really touch on was modifiying pistons/rods/compression ratio. I also found the idea of a GM Vacuum adjustable regulator interesting. Where the PSI increases with Throttle/RPM. Seems as if it would correct a little of the issue of having a rich idle if you crank up the fuel pressure needed with mods. But I'm also reading a little bad about them, such as delayed throttle response due to the vacuum not being able to keep up. Anyone have any experience with these vacuum operated regulators?

senja

Reaction score
I'm with you on sh*tcanning the tbi, but how do I get around the computer? Or, better yet, what should I use in place of the tbi? I live in California and we have to have our cars smog checked every other year. I already have to go the a special tester because I've modified the engine. It's all in compliance, but with headers, different intake, different heads, they don't want to touch my truck. The "special tester" people are pretty knowledgable and know a throttle body from a 4-barrel. There are no 4-barrel carbs that I know of that can be interchanged.

I've put several thousand dollars into my engine with little satisfaction. If I had it to do over again I'd look at a crate motor swap that is smog compliant. One of the truck magazines put an LS engine in their 1990 half ton chev. I never did find out how it all worked out. The only problem is the LS is about 9 thousand dollars, just for the engine. It's never easy!

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can find ls motors all day for less than 2k used. There is another option for tuning the tbi, dynamic efi makes a replacement ecu with full tuning capabilites called the EBL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk