350 stroker build (ca smog legal?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
STOP.

BEFORE you spend one dime on this project, you should talk to the Smog Police to see what's legal and what isn't. I'm thinking these folks are called the CARB Referee, but whatever their title, you need to have the conversation.

First off, you cannot remove or defeat any of the existing pollution control devices, and the ones on the engine have to be functional. This includes a California-spec catalyst, EGR, PCV, AIR pump and plumbing (if equipped), the charcoal canister, and so forth.

Second, if you increase the displacement, you're almost certainly going to need to tune the computer to compensate. And far as I know, that's an automatic fail at the test station.

Third, all your aftermarket upgrades--which don't include "OEM replacement/equivalent" parts, but would include the aftermarket cylinder heads, camshaft, rocker arms, etc.--had better have a CARB Exemption sticker and paperwork, and you'd better be able to keep track of it so it doesn't get lost.

The .030 overbore is meaningless in this context, provided you use an OEM-style replacement piston that maintains approximately the stock compression ratio.
Time to move..i hear texas is nice and florida is quite pleasant..

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder as of when? Because at the moment it is commonly accepted knowledge (unless it's VERY recently changed) that that new procedure isn't catching C5 and older for whatever reason even though it is meant to. There was a huge hoopla over there and this was the consensus.
Any chance it is Diablo tuned? Reason I ask is that Diablo writes custom code to hide their flashes and have for years. The Diablo device reads the Calibration ID and CVN numbers and retains them by modifying the PCMs CVN request routine. I know a few years ago atleast, Diablo tunes were invisible to external detection short of reading the full calibration.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, Florida would be a good option for anyone in this situation. They don't check anything except for your insurance card and drivers license these days, to renew tags. There is absolutely no inspection (safety or emissions) on any year vehicle required. :Big Laugh:
Texas inspections are on the way out too. Currently only 17 counties require emissions tests and those counties will still require it.

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear Texas is nice ;)

Well, Florida would be a good option for anyone in this situation. They don't check anything except for your insurance card and drivers license these days, to renew tags. There is absolutely no inspection (safety or emissions) on any year vehicle required. :Big Laugh:
And constitutional carry and no state tax

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Any chance it is Diablo tuned? Reason I ask is that Diablo writes custom code to hide their flashes and have for years. The Diablo device reads the Calibration ID and CVN numbers and retains them by modifying the PCMs CVN request routine. I know a few years ago atleast, Diablo tunes were invisible to external detection short of reading the full calibration.

I'm not sure, those guys are all using shops as I recall? I may have to go digging again for more context. The few that do self tune use HPT, but I don't recall if any were in CA or a part of that particular thread.

And constitutional carry and no state tax

But the property tax, oof!

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There isn’t any question that IF the smog police want to they can see the history of any tune change. Same goes for the dealership for warranty claim rejection purposes.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There isn’t any question that IF the smog police want to they can see the history of any tune change. Same goes for the dealership for warranty claim rejection purposes.

The smog police aren't tuners, most are likely barely trained nutless monkeys with a flawed understanding pushing a button looking for their device to give them a go/no go.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can’t make a blanket statement about all of the people working at the smog stations. You dont think that some of them are smart enough to loom into the computer history?

I agree that most of the time they don’t look into this but you can’t say that they can’t.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the property tax, oof!
Yeah, we were thinking about moving to El Paso when I was working in Juarez back in 2006. Property tax was 4% back then, IDK if it's gone up since. We started looking in New Mexico. We were still living in CA (yuk) and finally moved to AZ in 2008 - best move we made!

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can’t make a blanket statement about all of the people working at the smog stations. You dont think that some of them are smart enough to loom into the computer history?

I agree that most of the time they don’t look into this but you can’t say that they can’t.

The guys who actually write code at this level are like Yogi...smarter than your average bear.

If need be, they can & do leave bread crumbs on computer #2 for when I'm trying
to put the bread crumbs back where I found them on computer #1. For example,
imagine if I owned a Hellcat, put some sort of sledgehammer tune in it, broke my ride,
*reinstalled the original OEM tune image*, and innocently sent it in for warranty coverage.

Guess what? They can still tell if the ECM has been flashed/tampered with:

(Deluxe Beachball Stackers mark their turf against tuners)

There's anecdotal evidence that some of this scorekeeping is done elsewhere
in the vehicle in some out of the way nook & cranny -- all these boxes are
networked together. It's not nearly as easy as it used to be.

Never underestimate your adversaries. It can lead to unpleasant surprises.
:0)

Last edited: