Ca smog legal 383 stroker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a 383 will not pass but i will simply make it visually look like the stock 350 so all that matters is that it passes visual and sniffer test
The visual test includes looking for the TBI and OE air cleaner/ducting. Other stuff - EGR (intake manifold has to have that) and A.I.R. (if so equipped). How about your CARB approved catalytic converter? If they see an aftermarket one they're gonna ask for documentation.

braidenserpa

Reaction score
The visual test includes looking for the TBI and OE air cleaner/ducting. Other stuff - EGR (intake manifold has to have that) and A.I.R. (if so equipped). How about your CARB approved catalytic converter? If they see an aftermarket one they're gonna ask for documentation.
So as long as I do that and keep a CARB approved cat I should be good to go?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So as long as I do that and keep a CARB approved cat I should be good to go?
Just to get to tuning. After a regular tuneup, you'll need to set timing and AFR to help with HCs.

Other stuff to help reduce NOx. IMO the hardest to pass, especially if you don't have a 3-way Cat.

Check your Charcoal Canister system and gas cap for leaks - part of the test is to pressurize the fuel system to look for leaks.

YMMV

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
yes you should be fine if you do all of that no one has to know that it is a stroker engine and not the sock one if it looks stock then it is stock

99xcss4

Reaction score
some thing that I do not know though is if any of the crate engines I have posted ca compliant or not

braidenserpa

Reaction score
Just to get to tuning. After a regular tuneup, you'll need to set timing and AFR to help with HCs.

Other stuff to help reduce NOx. IMO the hardest to pass, especially if you don't have a 3-way Cat.

Check your Charcoal Canister system and gas cap for leaks - part of the test is to pressurize the fuel system to look for leaks.

YMMV
I just had my truck smogged recently with the stock 350 in it and they did all of that, perfect pass.

99xcss4

Reaction score
well they did say for 87-95 I did not see any thing about for off road use only or only in these sates maybe I missed it some where

braidenserpa

Reaction score
well they did say for 87-95 I did not see any thing about for off road use only or only in these sates maybe I missed it some where
Yeah if it was for "offroad use only" or only for "48 states" I think it must be somewhere on the page

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah if it was for "offroad use only" or only for "48 states" I think it must be somewhere on the page
This was just conjecture, from experience, on my part. I'd call them and ask if it's CARB approved.

As an example, here's the disclaimer from Blue Print engines for my "383" short block.

You must be registered for see images attach