350 stroker build (ca smog legal?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They can tell all day long on both. Anything that sends out a check sum in the datastream, including your C5 or trucks.
It has been my understanding that it is not difficult to spot altered values reading the ecm. Here they check if the ecm vin matches the vehicle it's in. if not the red flags go up.

Last edited:

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just because people are getting through that testing process doesn’t mean that the testing staff can’t find a previous tune. Most of them probably don’t care to look. But yes if they want to they can find any previous tune.

The same goes for the dealerships and warranty. They normally don’t care much or bother to look at the tuning history but 100% if you have an engine issue under warranty they will dig deep to find any excuse to not cover the warranty claim.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Supposedly the checksum that's spotted in the C6 can't be seen on the C5. I don't know why, I just know what others have experienced.
I hear ya there's plenty of stuff out there now you can plug in and once removed there's no trace, but there's been quite a few guys have also put stuff together in Cali. to find out they can't get it through. I don't believe odb1 even gets checked for emissions here anymore. My 92 doesn't have to pass any type of inspection In the past I've had cars passed with the sniffer in another vehicle.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Supposedly the checksum that's spotted in the C6 can't be seen on the C5. I don't know why, I just know what others have experienced.
I can say with 1000% certainty that those claiming that, have not had the newest version of the CA smog done on their vehicle yet. The OBD2 connection reads the checksums and VIN. Each Segment in the tune has its own unique checksum. I can look at check sums even on OBD1 vehicles.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can say with 1000% certainty that those claiming that, have not had the newest version of the CA smog done on their vehicle yet. The OBD2 connection reads the checksums and VIN. Each Segment in the tune has its own unique checksum. I can look at check sums even on OBD1 vehicles.

I wonder as of when? Because at the moment it is commonly accepted knowledge (unless it's VERY recently changed) that that new procedure isn't catching C5 and older for whatever reason even though it is meant to. There was a huge hoopla over there and this was the consensus.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, Florida would be a good option for anyone in this situation. They don't check anything except for your insurance card and drivers license these days, to renew tags. There is absolutely no inspection (safety or emissions) on any year vehicle required. :Big Laugh:

Last edited: