Top end build worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aidan Kesler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
first and foremost I’m not a tbi guy lol I ditched my tbi for an old school carb swap for my own personal preferences! Yes I used a 4l60e carb TPS sensor mounting setup for the trans, but that’s besides the point!!

Anyways lol I’m sorta new to building motors so I need some insight. I’m saving to do a full build for sometime early next year, but for the time being I wonder if it’s worth it to pick up a set of used vortec heads, intake and a small cam for a little short term fun and kick until my full build, how difficult would that be or should I wait to do the entire thing??

I’m looking at roughly $600 (have some extra form taxes) to do a mild top end build on my daily. Anything I may run into that would halt the operation or just cause issues if I do this top end build for the short term?

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't do H/C/I in the vehicle just to pull the motor in 9 months. More convenient to do it on the stand. Not sure where you're getting all that stuff for $600 either. Does your block already have provisions for roller rockers?

Aidan Kesler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't do H/C/I in the vehicle just to pull the motor in 9 months. More convenient to do it on the stand. Not sure where you're getting all that stuff for $600 either. Does your block already have provisions for roller rockers?
I know some friends. $250 for heads, $180 for intake, already have carb. Cam n lifters about $250. So I exaggerated, about $700. Also it’s not an exact time frame of when I’d be pulling the motor to build it, but that is a good point, I’m just anxious to do something!!!

I’m 99% sure my block has provisions for a roller cam, but it’s that weird year (95) where I think it had provisions, but has a flat tappet from factory. I don’t mind a flat tappet, cheaper for me!! Hahah!

Aidan Kesler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The flat tappets won't be cheaper when they send chips of metal throughout your block.
I’ve seen a couple flat tappet builds last years, a friend of mine and his dad both have 94 single cab, and 96 extended cab, both flat tappet builds, so far 5+ years going strong. Inform me? I’m curious now.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen a couple flat tappet builds last years, a friend of mine and his dad both have 94 single cab, and 96 extended cab, both flat tappet builds, so far 5+ years going strong. Inform me? I’m curious now.
1st, IIRC most 94 and 95 blocks did not come with the bosses for a roller cam. I'd check to make sure. YMMV

Here's my experience with flat tappet cams. The reasons, among others, are they're made cheaper than they used to be and today's oil isn't made the way it used to be - lower ZDDP content required by EPA. You need to properly break in the cam and lifters too.

www.gmt400.com/threads/my-flat-tappet-cam-wiped-out-so-i-decided-to-go-roller.60167/

Aidan Kesler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1st, IIRC most 94 and 95 blocks did not come with the bosses for a roller cam. I'd check to make sure. YMMV

Here's my experience with flat tappet cams. The reasons, among others, are they're made cheaper than they used to be and today's oil isn't made the way it used to be - lower ZDDP content required by EPA. You need to properly break in the cam and lifters too.

www.gmt400.com/threads/my-flat-tappet-cam-wiped-out-so-i-decided-to-go-roller.60167/

So I’ve found a new cam for sale on marketplace. It is a flat tappet.. but it is $150 new lol sooo, I’m willing to take the risk, I’m thinking I could just do a small cam swap with my intake and carb I got now? How hard is just a cam swap? Do I need different push rods, rockers or springs or anything? It’s an XE256h-10 comp cam.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would change the lifters if they've got high mileage on them since you're opening her up.

I believe the springs are really dependent on the lift of the cam. The more aggressive cams need stronger/stiffer springs so that your valves don't float at higher rpms. Also heard of stock springs breaking with higher lift cams.

You can check straightness of the pushrods and if they're good, then keep them. But depending on the cam specs, that can change as well.

There's quite a bit that goes into this. I'm in the market for a cam setup as well and am trying to learn what the best ratio of cost to quality is, but whatever you do, spend as much time as needed researching before doing this.

Especially if you're going flat tappet. The break in is crucial. They sell break in additives to protect the metal during break in and I THINK diesel oil, like Shell T6 Rotella, is good for older engines because of the added zinc.

Someone chime in if I'm wrong about anything, it's been 25 years since I did a cam and I'm still brushing up.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do take the time to go through TBI's thread, a failed flat tappet can be a disaster of epic proportions., buying one off marketplace claimed to be new? Used Vortecs, 99% are cracked, so there's that. Don't waste money buying unusable junk.

If it's running decent I would leave it alone. Take your budget and add 30% to cover incidentals, gaskets, broken hardware, etc. @Erik the Awful the Awful did a good write up on converting tbi to vortec heads. It's not entirely straightforward.

This already sounding like a bad plan. Wait till you can do the whole thing as it doesn't make alot of sense to spend time and money on incidentals and do it all over next year.