Vortec 383 stroker question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is getting up there in mileage and I plan on replacing the 5.7 engine later this year. Truck is a 98 k1500 vortec 5.7, lifted, 33” tires, 3.73 gears. The vortec 383 stroker is an option, but is it worth the price? I tow and haul stuff, and drive mountain and forest roads all the time, which is why I love the vortec 5.7. The torque curve is awesome for what I do.

Will a 4l60e hold up? Mine war just rebuilt and upgraded so it’s stronger than stock.

I’m assuming I would need a new tune..

Is it worth the extra cost compared to a new vortec 5.7?

Does anyone have any real life experience towing with a vortec 383 stroker?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cant give you towing experience but I've had mine in since june of 21. First impressions are I love it. It has the get up I need to move around and the power is there I know for towing. As for the financial side. If I was smarter I probably could of built my own and come out a tad bit cheaper. But comparing to a 350 I think the 383 is hands down a better power output. The set up I got is the 4l60e, 342 rearend, 4' lift and 31' tires. This motor will spin the rear tires easy. Now as for the trans i will say the 4l60 unit is weak and not designed for the torqued output. I'm actually trying to save up for a 4l75e. Basically i just looked at the rated hp and torque output gm has for each transmission and picked the one that "should" hold up to 323hp and 444ibft of torqued. The 4l60 is a know weak transmission and even if rebuilt I think your foot makes the difference if you blow it or not. Btw you could go with a 4l80 swap but that's a bit more involved but the best tranny to throw in. In my case I prefer a plug in play vs going another k to fit in a 4l80 plus a 0411 swap...

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the dead.. Anyone have experience with West Coast Engines? I'm looking at the Vortec 383 Stallion engine. Any positive or negative experiences? My other choices are the GM HT383 Vortec or BluPrint. My gut is always go with the GM block, but they are quite more expensive compared to BluePrint and West Coast Engines. Just curious what people are using.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the dead.. Anyone have experience with West Coast Engines? I'm looking at the Vortec 383 Stallion engine. Any positive or negative experiences? My other choices are the GM HT383 Vortec or BluPrint. My gut is always go with the GM block, but they are quite more expensive compared to BluePrint and West Coast Engines. Just curious what people are using.
No experience but I’m sold on the west coast engines when I’m ready.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bringing this back from the dead. Pulling the trigger real soon on a 383 Stroker. I think I'm going to go with the Blue Print engine. Regarding the exhaust.. I have the stock exhaust system on my truck. I've deleted the cats. Should I increase the pipe size after the Y pipe, or is stock ok? Not looking to make it loud as hell or anything. I still have the stock muffler on it, and I enjoy the tone it makes with the cats deleted.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should I increase the pipe size after the Y pipe, or is stock ok? Not looking to make it loud as hell or anything. I still have the stock muffler on it, and I enjoy the tone it makes with the cats deleted.
I'm running the JBL "Y" pipe to 3" single with 3" high flow Cat and 3" Borla Pro XS straight through muffler on my Blue Print "383" with the 08-432-8 cam. It almost seems quieter than when I had the 350 with a milder 08-430-8 cam in it.