TBI or EFI options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It would probably run but not really perform. Different injector flow rates. Even a stock tune has a lot to be desired in terms of fuel and spark curve. They tend to run fat in cruise and have lazy spark timing. Call it factory installed CYA.
Right and at that point the best bet seems to be swapping to the tuneable vortec computer. Although arguably going with a complete aftermarket EFI replacement may make more sense.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right and at that point the best bet seems to be swapping to the tuneable vortec computer. Although arguably going with a complete aftermarket EFI replacement may make more sense.
EBL Flash II is completely tunable and has emulation so you can tune on the fly. If using a stock ECM you can tune it by modifiying the .bin and burning a new chip or if you use the 27SF512 chip you can erase it and re-burn it.
Vortec is OBDII which is easier(I guess)to flash but requires you pay for the license.
His truck is OBDI,more cost effective to keep it that way. Even if he buys the EBL,454 TB,has his intake bored or buys one for the larger throttle plates and buys the Vortec pump he will be in for about a grand and have a tried and true system.

MaxEx can probably shed more light on the pros and cons of OBDII and the 0411 ECM and PayingwithTBI is running the EBL with OBDI(if you can call it that.)
I'm a dinosaur(AKA cheap ba$tard)and am going with the 1619 ECM and will be burning chips till I get it right

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would probably run but not really perform. Different injector flow rates. Even a stock tune has a lot to be desired in terms of fuel and spark curve
To add, you may be better off using your stock 61# injectors in the 50mm (454) body and adjust fuel pressure, that'll allow for more CFM. The 17084304 (91-93 454) injectors on the 383 MAY work OK and without a VRFPR. The 454 injectors are rated 74 LB/HR @ 13 PSI when the 5235206 (stock 350) ones are 75.7 LB/HR @ 20 PSI. My 46mm TB can't quite get enough air flow at higher RPMs, I'm getting ~90 - 95 MAP @ 5700 RPM WOT but, the throttle blades aren't opening fully at WOT either, ha ha. I don't think, in my case, upgrading to a 50mm TB is worth it after paying $503.07 for mine with the "Ultimate Mods" too.

Keep in mind, very few 50mm TBs came with the TV cable arm since very few (if any) 454s came with a 700R4 (4L60) they had a TH400 (3L60). YMMV

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think, in my case, upgrading to a 50mm TB is worth it after paying $503.07 for mine with the "Ultimate Mods" too.
Ouch!
Keep in mind, very few 50mm TBs came with the TV cable arm since very few (if any) 454s came with a 700R4 (4L60) they had a TH400 (3L60). YMMV
Hadn't thought about that,I was planning to change out the throttle arm for the one that's on my truck now. Reckon he could do it too.