Sniper Efi Gen1 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvenExotix

Reaction score
I have a 95 Chevy Tahoe w tbi350 an 4l60e. im swapping with a 355 mid cam w aluminum heads w 4l60e trans, and I bought the Sniper Efi Master kit of the gen 1 Holley Sniper 550-511K, looking into it now should I grab the pcm and I saw something about the Holley Throttle Lever extension. What else should I buy to truly complete the kit for my truck? I also am going to use FAST Xdi Street hei distributor, everything engine wise will be brand new, only gonna run water pump and alternator off old running motor. and is there a guide to source threw possible rfi issues if they arise for me that can be linked

Reaction score
I have a 95 Chevy Tahoe w tbi350 an 4l60e. im swapping with a 355 mid cam w aluminum heads w 4l60e trans, and I bought the Sniper Efi Master kit of the gen 1 Holley Sniper 550-511K, looking into it now should I grab the pcm and I saw something about the Holley Throttle Lever extension. What else should I buy to truly complete the kit for my truck? I also am going to use FAST Xdi Street hei distributor, everything engine wise will be brand new, only gonna run water pump and alternator off old running motor. and is there a guide to source threw possible rfi issues if they arise for me that can be linked
With the sniper you will need a stand-alone TCM to control the transmission. The sniper kit has no provision for trans control because it itself is a stand-alone system. If you have an aftermarket intake manifold you will have to find out where to run your coolant lines for the heater core, usually that would be the port to the left of the thermostat housing depending on what kind of intake you have. The stock TBI manifold feeds the heater core from a port in the back, near the distributor. Also, will the stock TBI fuel pump supply enough pressure for the sniper? I don’t know how much fuel pressure the sniper requires, but I know the built and bore’d tbi I am getting from SPR Performance will require a stronger fuel pump. I know that some of the vortec pumps should drop in the stock sending unit and will supply plenty of fuel and then some for my application.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been there done that. I have a sniper and had a 4l60e. It was a pain. I had a Us shift controller controling the transmission. You'll need to run a dual TPS. One Tps for the sniper and one for the transmission.

The sniper needs 60psi for fuel pressure. I run an inline fuel pump.

The sniper 2 has a transmission controller.

If you haven't made the purchase yet, I'd get a Terminator X MAX. It's a better unit. I wish I would have got that instead.

I also bought all the Hyperspark stuff, ignition coil, distributor, and CDI box.

The extension for the throttle made a huge difference. It was very stiff with out it.

You'll want to run a good return spring as well.

The sniper is very sensitive to interference. You'll want to run MSD super conductor spark plug wires.

Depin all the wire from the plugs not in use. Make sure you have good grounds. Shoot me a message if you have any questions. Iv had mine since 2019.

You'll want to check out the link. This is the kit you need for a dual tps

https://eficarb.com/products/additional-throttle-position-sensor-for-popular-efi

EvenExotix

Reaction score
Been there done that. I have a sniper and had a 4l60e. It was a pain. I had a Us shift controller controling the transmission. You'll need to run a dual TPS. One Tps for the sniper and one for the transmission.

The sniper needs 60psi for fuel pressure. I run an inline fuel pump.

The sniper 2 has a transmission controller.

If you haven't made the purchase yet, I'd get a Terminator X MAX. It's a better unit. I wish I would have got that instead.

I also bought all the Hyperspark stuff, ignition coil, distributor, and CDI box.

The extension for the throttle made a huge difference. It was very stiff with out it.

You'll want to run a good return spring as well.

The sniper is very sensitive to interference. You'll want to run MSD super conductor spark plug wires.

Depin all the wire from the plugs not in use. Make sure you have good grounds. Shoot me a message if you have any questions. Iv had mine since 2019.

You'll want to check out the link. This is the kit you need for a dual tps

https://eficarb.com/products/additional-throttle-position-sensor-for-popular-efi
lol so the terminator x max engine system, 3200 more dollars lol I've got 9400 in the motor now. but its gonna be my best choice and probably the last thing to set this off, I have the fast xdi plugs to match the distributor right now though ill take a look into the mod

Last edited:

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lol so the terminator x max engine system, 1800 more dollars lol I've got 9400 in the motor now. but its gonna be my best choice and probably the last thing to set this off, I have the fast xdi plugs to match the distributor right now though ill take a look into the mod
I didnt realize it was 1800 more. Iv ran 3 different kinds of plug wires and the super conductor have been by far the best.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the Sniper Efi Master kit of the gen 1 Holley Sniper 550-511K
Oof. Return that and get a basic Sniper. The "master kit" is $330 more for just a fuel pump that doesn't even fit in the stock location.

Here, I'll even save you another $300 - Holley sells refurbished Snipers for $950.

Get a Vortec fuel pump. It's a direct replacement for your TBI pump and it feeds a Sniper just fine.

You ABSOLUTELY need the extended throttle arm. Without it the Sniper is nearly undriveable, and you stand a chance of bending your throttle arm. I think it's near criminal that Holley doesn't include this with the Sniper, and then asks $16 for a 25 cent piece of steel and screws.

You can use your factory fuel lines if you get metric-to-AN adapters. I don't have the part number handy. I found them on Summit.

Other stuff to note: if your throttle sticks, you may have to loosen and re-install (with loctite!) the factory throttle blade screws. I had to. The TPS is a factory TBI piece, so keep all your old TBI bits in a box on the shelf. The wide-band O2 sensor is a factory Dodge truck O2 sensor. I have the part number on another thread somewhere, probably my WCJr build thread.

EvenExotix

Reaction score
Oof. Return that and get a basic Sniper. The "master kit" is $330 more for just a fuel pump that doesn't even fit in the stock location.

i bought it over a year ago at this point, so sadly not gonna do that , but I’ve seen your replies onn other post so I know you know your stuff. Do I still need to get the terminator x max to control or can I save a couple dollars there?

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not believe the Xmax is compatible with the sniper. That's one of the few downsides with the sniper.

I had decent success with my USshift controller once I got the TPS issue worked out.

I will be selling mine soon if you are interested. These things are expensive. I'll let mine go for alot less. The only thing I'd get from the company Would be a new vehicle harness. That way you are starting fresh with an unMolested harness.

https://www.usshift.com/usq4.shtml

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do I still need to get the terminator x max to control or can I save a couple dollars there?
No, save some money and get a simple shift controller. I have a 4L60, not a 4L60e, so I was able to run without a controller.

As @Tim W recommended, here's the USShift controller for about $750
https://www.usshift.com/usq4.shtml

Here's a FitTech for under $550.

I have no experience with either.