TBI or EFI options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

proflyer

Reaction score
I just did a 383 Blue Print swap in my 89 K1500 SCSB and am running a holley sniper. Have a sniper on the 496 in my 68 Camaro as well. They've worked well for me. Most problems are install based. Do a good clean install, and you shouldn't have issues. Holley has been great for support as well. The regular sniper is plenty for anything under a true 650hp. The new sniper 2 is pretty neat. I'd look into that master kit if funds allow. The neat thing about the sniper is it uses lots of readily available parts for the sensors, so if you do have one go down, you can find it at a parts store pretty easy.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's a $ thing. If you have the money go for a complete aftermarket fuel system. If you're trying to save some dough and still want good performance then stay with a the OEM TBI. I would run the 454 TB and EBL if you're not into burning chips or an OEM ECM and TunerPro if you want to burn your chips. The thing to keep in mind is the OEM system is tried and true.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I think it's a $ thing. If you have the money go for a complete aftermarket fuel system. If you're trying to save some dough and still want good performance then stay with a the OEM TBI. I would run the 454 TB and EBL if you're not into burning chips or an OEM ECM and TunerPro if you want to burn your chips. The thing to keep in mind is the OEM system is tried and true.
while I do agree with this if you are putting efi on some thing that came with a carb unless you go used new oem stand alone tbi is as expensive as the cheapest aftermarket stand alone systems this seller offers oem stand alone systems for many engines https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ss...systems&_oac=1&_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l161211

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Aqua-pig

Reaction score
I agree with what scooterwrench said. I’m running a 383 with a true sequential multi port injection set up. When you step into this game it’s all about money, you get what you pay for (fitech) I hear good and bad about the sniper and edelbrock….i was a die hard edelbrock guy till I wasted a couple grand on a pro Flo system, most of it is in the trash now. My advise, follow what playingwithtbi says about modified throttle bodies. Unless you want to get complicated. My painful and extremely expensive lesson I learned the hard way was: EFI isn’t going to be cheap, you get what you pay for, there’s no such thing as “universal fuel injection” do as much research as you can and be ready to fork out some serious cabbage. Just like getting a tattoo lol But wow man, it runs so sweet when you get it right, with my foot out of it I can see 15 mpg out of my 383 on 35”s. I did get the pro Flo to run ok…but for the money ok wasn’t good enough.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well that changes every thing get a vortec fuel pump a 454 tbi and caprice 9c1 tbi police injectors
And the Caprice injectors aren't really necessary, simply adjust your pressure regulator's spring and pressure combination.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with what scooterwrench said. I’m running a 383 with a true sequential multi port injection set up. When you step into this game it’s all about money, you get what you pay for (fitech) I hear good and bad about the sniper and edelbrock….i was a die hard edelbrock guy till I wasted a couple grand on a pro Flo system, most of it is in the trash now. My advise, follow what playingwithtbi says about modified throttle bodies. Unless you want to get complicated. My painful and extremely expensive lesson I learned the hard way was: EFI isn’t going to be cheap, you get what you pay for, there’s no such thing as “universal fuel injection” do as much research as you can and be ready to fork out some serious cabbage. Just like getting a tattoo lol But wow man, it runs so sweet when you get it right, with my foot out of it I can see 15 mpg out of my 383 on 35”s. I did get the pro Flo to run ok…but for the money ok wasn’t good enough.

I had some issue with an old ProFlow system the old chip style. Had a buddy put one on his 71 C20. To get it right, finally had to dig into the chip and just make changes to the base map rather than try to modify it off the hand held, after that, ran great. Hopefully the 4th generation I have works better. If not the ECM will get pulled and I will put a universal LS harness on it and switch the L31 over to coil near plug using a LS P59 computer.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you run the 454 TBI using the stock prom tune in the computer? I mean I Kmow it will run but will it run well or do you need a tune chip prom?
It would probably run but not really perform. Different injector flow rates. Even a stock tune has a lot to be desired in terms of fuel and spark curve. They tend to run fat in cruise and have lazy spark timing. Call it factory installed CYA.