Any 383 kits available for our trucks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UtOBS

Reaction score
Hey, I’m working on a restoring a truck and am trying to think through the engine side of things. I originally was going to 6.0 lq9 swap it but decided to go a different route. Is there any 383 kits available for my 1990 tbi 350 5.7. I’m not that familiar with old Chevy motors. Iv found some kits for 350 sbc. Will a kit for any sbc 350 work or does it have to be specific to our truck.

Also any recommendations on intake manifold, heads, long tube headers, and cam. Trying to make the most power I can out of this old dog. Iv heard AFR heads are good? I know it won’t be cheap or easy to build this motor but I’m sure as hell going to try!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will a kit for any sbc 350 work or does it have to be specific to our truck.
It has to be for a one piece rear main seal. YMMV

Also any recommendations on intake manifold, heads, long tube headers, and cam.
There's all kinds of combinations, one is this cam (Blue Print uses one like this), aluminum heads, and Sniper EFI. How much money do you have?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also any recommendations on intake manifold, heads, long tube headers, and cam. Trying to make the most power I can out of this old dog. Iv heard AFR heads are good? I know it won’t be cheap or easy to build this motor but I’m sure as hell going to try!
What's your purpose for the truck? What body style do you have? Are we talking a RCSB with a fiberglass front end stripped down to 3500 lbs or a loaded 5700 lb Suburban K2500? If it's heavy, build for torque. If it's light, then aiming for high rpm horsepower might be worth it. Either way, a 383 with good heads is a solid start.

For a cam recommendation, call your preferred cam manufacturer. They'll give you better advice than us internet randos.

UtOBS

Reaction score
What's your purpose for the truck? What body style do you have? Are we talking a RCSB with a fiberglass front end stripped down to 3500 lbs or a loaded 5700 lb Suburban K2500? If it's heavy, build for torque. If it's light, then aiming for high rpm horsepower might be worth it. Either way, a 383 with good heads is a solid start.

For a cam recommendation, call your preferred cam manufacturer. They'll give you better advice than us internet randos.
The build theme is kind of a classic 90s truck… it’s a regular cab step side. Classic 90s truck, roll bar with KC lights, cab visor, chrome pro comps. I’m painting it pearl white. It’s on the lighter end but definitely not a 2wd street truck by any means. It’s still a 4x4 truck and still heavy although lighter than most 4x4s. Kind of the reason I am not going for a 6.0 swap… 90s vibes all the way!

It will just be drivin on street and hood dirt roads as I live very far up one. It will see a bit of snow here and there as I live pretty far from town and on snow days the plows take a while to get out there. But really nothing extreme.

UtOBS

Reaction score
It has to be for a one piece rear main seal. YMMV

There's all kinds of combinations, one is this cam (Blue Print uses one like this), aluminum heads, and Sniper EFI. How much money do you have?

I’d like to try and stay Under 5500 if possible but if there is something that is definitely worth the extra money I’d wait a bit and save some more.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your biggest downside is going to be tuning it after any extensive modification. You'll either need to be able to pump up the pressure on the TBI and remap the fuel injection, or you're going to have to replace it outright.

If you're trying to replicate the "classic '90s truck", you don't need an actual power increase. Put a set of Flowmasters on it and be a poseur just like everyone back then.

But if you really want a power increase on a budget of $5500? The easy button is the HT383.

If you want an a moderate power increase appropriate to the style on a tighter budget, I'd call a cam company and order up a truck cam for it (get the roller provisions from a Vortec and go roller). Stick with the stock TBI heads, but clean up the castings and do some very mild porting. Either get the tools to retune the stock computer or get a new intake and go Sniper. Long tube headers and a 2.5" dual exhaust with a crossover to round it out.

If you want to go the DIY route, but still want to spend that $5500, then go with aftermarket heads.

I went with Vortec heads, a Lunati cam, and a Holley Sniper. There's a link to the build thread for "Way Cool Jr" in my signature.

You must be registered for see images attach

UtOBS

Reaction score
Your biggest downside is going to be tuning it after any extensive modification. You'll either need to be able to pump up the pressure on the TBI and remap the fuel injection, or you're going to have to replace it outright.

If you're trying to replicate the "classic '90s truck", you don't need an actual power increase. Put a set of Flowmasters on it and be a poseur just like everyone back then.

But if you really want a power increase on a budget of $5500? The easy button is the HT383.

If you want an a moderate power increase appropriate to the style on a tighter budget, I'd call a cam company and order up a truck cam for it (get the roller provisions from a Vortec and go roller). Stick with the stock TBI heads, but clean up the castings and do some very mild porting. Either get the tools to retune the stock computer or get a new intake and go Sniper. Long tube headers and a 2.5" dual exhaust with a crossover to round it out.

If you want to go the DIY route, but still want to spend that $5500, then go with aftermarket heads.

I went with Vortec heads, a Lunati cam, and a Holley Sniper. There's a link to the build thread for "Way Cool Jr" in my signature.

Thanks! I think iv worked the fuel system out… now just gotta decide on intake and cam setup.

It’s worth noting I’m planning on pulling the engine out of the truck, cleaning and polishing everything up, and do the cam, 383, intake, ect… all at once. Get the motor running from a carb on the stand first. Once she’s good and ready I’ll drop it back in and put TBI on it. (50mm throttle body, and 454 system) and then I’ll get it dialed and tuned up.

UtOBS

Reaction score

Still working out the little details but I have found some build pretty much exactly what I’m doing using a modified stock TBI system. Based on what I’m finding It can be done, people just don’t cause for all that time and a lot of the money one could throw a sniper system on it.