Memory steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lu Blunt

Reaction score
I’m trying to decide between agr and redhead steering boxes. I like the 2 yr warranty agr offers but it’s $519 no core refund and $72 for the fluid. Redhead is $520 but offers a core refund of $150. So $600 vs $370. Not sure if agr is worth the extra money. Agr also has a matching pump for $220

Lu Blunt

Reaction score
Agr seems like the obvious choice but there’s so many bad reviews spanning almost 15 years.

https://leepowersteering.com/collec...ginaw-gmt-gearbox-14-gm-trucks-suvs-1987-2000

found this steering box. They offer upgrades more like agr but quite a bit more expensive than redhead. Both offer 12month warranty. I’m going to order the redhead steering box and if I’m not happy I’ll look into getting the original box rebuilt by lee power steering. Sounds like the balljoints are squeaking when I turn or go over bumps

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder if Borgeson is ever gonna come out with a GMT400 steering box.. they've got them for squarebodies, and it's all-new construction, not a rebuild. $495 list for a new 12.7:1 box.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it’s $519 no core refund and $72 for the fluid.
$72 for FLUID? Are they using it as **** lube? They're definitely ******' you.

Redhead is $520 but offers a core refund of $150. So $600 vs $370.
What does it cost to ship the core back to them?

I wonder if Borgeson is ever gonna come out with a GMT400 steering box.. they've got them for squarebodies, and it's all-new construction, not a rebuild. $495 list for a new 12.7:1 box.
What scares me is that a "new" box generally means "Made in Communist China by people who don't know what the hell they're doing".

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds more like a non-lube rape job to me. Evans charges an assinine amount for their "waterless" coolant too though.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds more like a non-lube rape job to me. Evans charges an assinine amount for their "waterless" coolant too though.
Is that waterless coolant worth all of the hype? I've heard Leno rave about it, but money means virtually nothing to him in terms of how expensive things are.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe for a race car, and by race car I mean something that's abused for 30 minutes at a time. I can't see it being worth it for a street car that has zero cooling issues.

Lu Blunt

Reaction score
I got the Baer tie rod ends, lares 205 rag joint and redhead quick ratio steering box installed on Friday. The truck was aligned afterwards. Shop said the balljoints were all good with very little play. The truck doesn’t drive any better. Still lots of play from 10-2. No return to center. Now at very low speeds the steering wheel is hard to turn and sounds like the pump is struggling. not sure where to go from here. Would a bad power steering pump cause these issues? Had no reason to think the pump was bad, no squealing or leaking.

You must be registered for see images attach

Lu Blunt

Reaction score
I took the truck back to the alignment shop the week before last. They said one of the Heim joints was seized up. Not sure how they missed that during install or test drive after alignment. After they fixed the Heim joint, the truck drove alittle better at lower speeds but seems like the power steering pump is still struggling at low speeds. No difference in highway driving. I’m still thinking a new power steering pump might help. I washed the truck over the weekend n noticed a pretty deep scratch in the face of one wheel. 99% sure it happened at the alignment shop. Talked to redhead and they told me to do a isolation test on the steeeting box. I honestly couldn’t find any play in the new box. Going to order a new power steering pump.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/psc-s...ce-power-steering-pump-sp1401/_/R-GHHW-SP1401