Memory steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lu Blunt

Reaction score
Working on getting the new pump installed

You must be registered for see images attach

Lu Blunt

Reaction score
Well the pump I ordered is for a non vortec 1996 Chevy truck. Before I ordered, I had emailed psc with my year make n model and part number to confirm the pump would work with my factory power steering cooler. They said confirmed it would work with factor cooler and nothing was said it being for non vortec applications. The reservoir is different and my bracket won’t bolt onto to pump. Customer support wants me to buy another reservoir and swap the new pump over. They said 1996 is the “break” year.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Buy another resevoir & do the swap yourself? You can't send it back for the proper one in return? Boo!
They know that '96 is the break year & then failed to specifically ask Vortec or not, nor a description or pix? SMH.
Damn 'partsmen' that have never been on the smart end of a wrench!

Lu Blunt

Reaction score
I’m tryin to get the old reservoir off the old pump to tryn swap it onto the new pump. I can’t get them apart. Took the 2 studs out, put the pump in the vice and hammer time but still won’t come free. Any help on getting them apart ?

Product page doesn’t ask or say non vortec applications. I didn’t know vortec was a different reservoir n bracket. I asked about price for the correct reservoir or a possible exchange for the correct one.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Non-Vortec in 1996? What application? 96 was the first year. I suspect someone in customer service doesn't have a clue. To me that sounds like they think you're creating a problem either by not understanding something, or ordering the wrong part and are putting it on you to fix it. You needed a pump for your truck, contacted them in advance, and you got a pump for a different truck, that should be on them not you.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m tryin to get the old reservoir off the old pump to tryn swap it onto the new pump. I can’t get them apart. Took the 2 studs out, put the pump in the vice and hammer time but still won’t come free. Any help on getting them apart ?

Product page doesn’t ask or say non vortec applications. I didn’t know vortec was a different reservoir n bracket. I asked about price for the correct reservoir or a possible exchange for the correct one.

I’d put it back in the box that it came in and get a refund.

Them telling you to Mickey-mouse the wrong part just to make it fit is ridiculous.

Lu Blunt

Reaction score
This morning I was told I had to call to order the correct reservoir without the pump. And swap the new pump into the correct reservoir. Then alittle bit ago they email me again saying they shipped out the correct pump and a return label for the wrong pump. Bummed I have to wait longer but glad they decided to provide quality customer service. On the down side I had grinded the bracket to fit the new pump. Had I known they would eventually exchange pumps, I would have left the bracket alone. If I didn’t learn the hard way I wouldn’t learn anything

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The 2 bolts and the pressure valve has to come off to get it out of the can. Pay attention to the orientation of the pressure valve pieces when you pull it apart.

Kbirdjr

Reaction score
I’ll be interested to know if the power steering pump helps. I’m fighting this same issue o. My son’s ‘98. It hasn’t been lowered but we did replace the control arms with Moog loaded control arms so new ball joints and bushings. We did pitman arm, idler arm, and tie rods at the same time, all Moog. It now has bad memory steer. I’ve replaced the steering box with one I had on a ‘98 suburban parts wagon and replaced the PS pump with an O’Reilly’s EVO delete pump. I have a’96 that has had all of the same suspension and steering parts replaced and it drives great. I’ve wondered if I should get a ‘96 pump to put on his ‘98.