Memory steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lu Blunt

Reaction score
My truck is a 96 c2500LD 350/nv3500/14sf. 4/6 drop using djm upper n lower control arms with drop coils. Qa1 shocks upfront. Belltech c-notch with flip kit in the rear. Also has shock extenders n airlift helper bags. My problems is the truck won’t return to center after turning. It’s like I’m always fighting the wheel to get the truck to drive straight. From what I’ve read this is called memory steering and common cause is balljoint binding. All balljoints are new from djm and all steering components have been replaced except steering gear box but I was told it wasn’t worn out. Had the alignment done at a quality shop n they even rechecked the alignment after 5k miles n decided the balljoints were the suspect of the steering problem. They knocked the balljoints out n reinstalled them. That seemed to help for a week or two but a couple thousand miles n The steering won’t return to center without manually turning the wheel in the opposite direction of the turn. Anyone have binding on new balljoints? Maybe it’s the steering box? There is 2-3 inches of play in the steering wheel. Steering problem started after the 4/6 drop was installed

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, they decided the ball joints (new?) were the problem, so they removed and reinstalled...the same ball joints? If not, what brand and model of ball joints are in there now? Were they greased after installation?

Richard

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is a greaseable ball joint and it was not greased, it won't even make it 100 miles and have irreparable damage done to the ride position.

Lu Blunt

Reaction score
the shop removed the balljoints saying they were overly tight n might be causing the binding and reinstalled the same balljoints saying they looked brand new and they would grease n torque them to a proper spec. This seemed to help to free up the steering but after a couple months of driving it’s steers like before they worked the balljoints. Here’s a pic of the alignment paperwork

You must be registered for see images attach

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Huh. I can't say I have ever heard of adjustable torque ball joints before.....

Lu Blunt

Reaction score
I don’t think the balljoints ever went without grease. I know they were greased during original installed and during the second install. I would think if the balljoints were damaged the alignment shop should have noticed while they were out but maybe not? The front tires rub the wheel wells pretty bad on hard dips n I was worried this could be stressing other parts but the alignment shop said everything looked brand new after 5k of driving so idk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
the shop removed the balljoints saying they were overly tight n might be causing the binding and reinstalled the same balljoints saying they looked brand new and they would grease n torque them to a proper spec. This seemed to help to free up the steering but after a couple months of driving it’s steers like before they worked the balljoints. Here’s a pic of the alignment paperwork

I don't know 2wd front end, but I can't imagine how an overly tight ball joint would effect the steering. You're tightening the attachment points to the knuckle/spindle or the control arm. The pivot point itself is as tight as it's going to get while sitting in the box.

Edit: Well you're caster is high by that paper, and they didn't change it at all.

Last edited:

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know 2wd front end, but I can't imagine how an overly tight ball joint would effect the steering. You're tightening the attachment points to the knuckle/spindle or the control arm. The pivot point itself is as tight as it's going to get while sitting in the box.
I totally agree with that, except they can get tighter when they run out of grease and rust up bad enough that they squeak when you turn the wheel. Like I said, I have never heard of an adjustable torque ball joint. Now, I'm sure I have not seen everything ever made, but I think you got taken for a $$$ ride on that one!

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I would say if it's the same shop that did the initial install, they forgot to grease the first time and tried to cover their tracks the second time with the "we adjusted and torqued" the ball joints but they really just added grease this time. It helped for a while, but the worn ball socket just reverted to it's damaged state after the initial greasing wore off. You could verify this by giving them a good shot of grease and see if they act normal for a few weeks then go back to not working right.