Memory steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lu Blunt

Reaction score
Got the new PSC pump installed no problems. Flushed n filled with swepco 715. Completed GMs recommended bleeding procedure. The steering feels better. plenty of steering power at low speeds, steering is smooth and doesn’t seem to dive into the turns anymore. Return to center is NOT better. Steering wheel still has play from 11-1. Almost like the steering wheels rocks freely from 11 to 1 with no resistance then once you get passed a point the steering feels normal. Not sure where to go from here

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steering wheel still has play from 11-1. Almost like the steering wheels rocks freely from 11 to 1 with no resistance then once you get passed a point the steering feels normal.
Classic symptoms of a failed rag joint, but you keep saying it's good. HOW are you verifying the rag joint?

I think you need to re-test the thing. Rag joint failures are epidemic on these trucks, and that's exactly how they act.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pull the plastic input shaft cover back and rotate the input shaft left and right with the engine running.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't checked mine since the new rag either, I suspect there's still some compliance in it though.

Lu Blunt

Reaction score
Had a recommended alignment shop check the new rag joint, steering box, and the rest of the steering for any play. They couldn’t find anything wrong or worth replacing. The truck doesn’t return to center. I have to steer the other direction to get the wheels to come back to center but it’s like I’m always fighting to find center. Especially when turning right, I have to start turning left to get it to stop turning right.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your caster measurement?

Positive caster helps return the steering wheel to center and make the steering more stable. Negative caster makes the car wander and feel darty.