Mad Customs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I'm learning too. I want to try and tune this one myself.

The front O2s are used in closed loop mode, which is mostly low load driving. Under high load it goes into open loop mode and uses a combination of inputs (MAF/MAP) to find the correct cell in a table that tells it how much fuel to deliver.

I think ... don't take any of that as gospel.
Don't doubt yourself my friend!!! That knowledge is good knowledge!

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple of minor things done. Fixed the oil leak is the important one.

Speaking of tunes I really need to get something going. It's running like crap and barely idles. I went through an RPM sweep up to about 4000 rpms and I can tell by the tone there are ranges where something isn't right. It's hard to describe, it'll go from a tone kinda like when the accelerator pump on a carb isn't working, to the full beans sound and fluctuate in and out across the sweep. Maybe an injector problem. Also it started back firing when I let off the gas but we're just running an open y at the moment so it could be that. There's no smoke or unburnt fuel smell, although we are running cats so that's to be expected. There are no codes or pending codes, so it's not super obvious what the problem is.

I will say that at 4000 rpms when everything is right it sounds phenomenal. Way better than my 6.0 CJ7 did with open headers. Must be the cam ... it sounds better than it did in my Corvette that it came from.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you going for a performance tune? My truck got a stock, 80e segment swap "reflash" from a local guy on FB marketplace. I think it was $40.

I took him my ECU, gave him my VIN, gear ratio, and the only thing I tuned out was EGR.

I have since bought HP Tuners, but haven't motivated myself to really doing anything with it. I need to adjust the gear ratio, because I haven't regeared as I had hoped and speedo is off.

But I don't understand why you need to tune it though... isn't the ECU already flashed you your engine? You didn't heavily modify anything, did you? Unless you put a wild cam or something along those lines...

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you going for a performance tune? My truck got a stock, 80e segment swap "reflash" from a local guy on FB marketplace. I think it was $40.

I took him my ECU, gave him my VIN, gear ratio, and the only thing I tuned out was EGR.

I have since bought HP Tuners, but haven't motivated myself to really doing anything with it. I need to adjust the gear ratio, because I haven't regeared as I had hoped and speedo is off.

But I don't understand why you need to tune it though... isn't the ECU already flashed you your engine? You didn't heavily modify anything, did you? Unless you put a wild cam or something along those lines...

It's a 5.3 with an LS6 cam, ported heads and a 4l60e. GM never made that so it's going to need a custom tune.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a 5.3 with an LS6 cam, ported heads and a 4l60e. GM never made that so it's going to need a custom tune.
Ok, I see. I was actually looking at the summit racing catalog this morning and I think I saw a similar setup from GM performance...it did say it required a custom tune.

I hope you can find a custom tune on the repository to use.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp, it's confirmed: I'm a dumbass. The tune I used was for a LS1 with a manual transmission. I updated it to 2001 LM7 4l60e Tahoe tune and it's a lot better. Not perfect, but it idles and doesn't have weird spots in the rpm range.

Idle clip

We also got the rear disc brake conversion done and it rolls freely now. It was a really nasty job and it took me 30 minutes to get that one drum off. Brake pedal is real spongy, but it's been bled. I have a new master cylinder for it that we haven't installed yet. Also now the parking brake light won't go off. Minor stuff.

You must be registered for see images attach

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp, I broke down and bought HP Tuners. PCM Hammer and Tuner Pro seem to be able to do everything that HPT can, but I couldn't get the PCM scanner tool to work. Also all the guides and tutorials for actual tuning out there are using HPT so I was spending time translating between the two and I don't really know either system, so more chances for mistakes.

If you're going to be using stock tunes and just disabling vats, segment swapping, things like that, you can use the free tools.