Mad Customs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the brakes seized from the lack use use?

Yeah, probably had a slow leak and then it rusted up with sitting.

Since the problem wasn't in the trans I just mashed the gas pedal and got it out of the garage. Then we backed it in back in 10 minutes later, LOL. The reverse lights even worked!

I think the swap is basically done minus tuning and a couple minor things. Now I'm on to things needed to pass inspection and get it on the road which is mostly seats, seatbelts, and exhaust. I also bought a new grill since we found the old one was broken.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Congrats on getting it to move on it's own power again! That's a big milestone!

You mentioned emissions testing...do they require that in your county? After 25 years the state doesn't require emissions. My Dad's, Brother's and BIL's (passed to my nephew), 89, 90, and 91, respectively Chebbies just get the State's "classic" inspection: wipers, lights, etc. No emissions.

Isn't your 96 technically exempt this year? Basically, just a visual for safety items, no?

My 99 still has some years to get there...my son (9), while I was working on the engine swap and he was helping me, I told him that's his truck when he gets his driver's license. It should be emissions exempt by then...I hope.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on getting it to move on it's own power again! That's a big milestone!

You mentioned emissions testing...do they require that in your county? After 25 years the state doesn't require emissions. My Dad's, Brother's and BIL's (passed to my nephew), 89, 90, and 91, respectively Chebbies just get the State's "classic" inspection: wipers, lights, etc. No emissions.

Isn't your 96 technically exempt this year? Basically, just a visual for safety items, no?

My 99 still has some years to get there...my son (9), while I was working on the engine swap and he was helping me, I told him that's his truck when he gets his driver's license. It should be emissions exempt by then...I hope.

96 and up, basically everything with OBD2, has to get hooked up to the scanner. No actual emissions testing but theoretically the PCM knows when something isn't right and would throw a code preventing it from passing.

The truck should pass. It has cats and even the evap system. The only thing I'm worried about is we deleted the codes for rear O2 and I'm not sure how sophisticated the state's OBD2 thing is.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I have not programmed anything but how does the ecm verify the correct fueling ratios, ect without rear O2 sensors? is there a default number that's used like when the truck is running in open loop? the numbers would not change and wouldnt that be kind of, questionable?

Where I live in Ontario Canada we dont have any emmisions testing of personal vehicles at all anymore province wide. BUT the vehicles must conform to the emmisions standards for the year it was manufactured. an engine swap does not change these parameters but the emmisions standards follow the engine. so if you use a modern engine it is supposed to have all the emmisions stuff that it originally came with. supposedly.

there is absolutely nobody that verify emissions components at all here anymore so that really only comes down to the guy doing the safety.

a few years ago we abolished emmisions testing in Ontario. we recognized that thanks to California, vehicle manufactures are now building clean burning engines and it was time to move on from the 2 year emmisions testing money grab! because that's all it was.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not programmed anything but how does the ecm verify the correct fueling ratios, ect without rear O2 sensors? is there a default number that's used like when the truck is running in open loop? the numbers would not change and wouldnt that be kind of, questionable?

Where I live in Ontario Canada we dont have any emmisions testing of personal vehicles at all anymore province wide. BUT the vehicles must conform to the emmisions standards for the year it was manufactured. an engine swap does not change these parameters but the emmisions standards follow the engine. so if you use a modern engine it is supposed to have all the emmisions stuff that it originally came with. supposedly.

there is absolutely nobody that verify emissions components at all here anymore so that really only comes down to the guy doing the safety.

a few years ago we abolished emmisions testing in Ontario. we recognized that thanks to California, vehicle manufactures are now building clean burning engines and it was time to move on from the 2 year emmisions testing money grab! because that's all it was.

The engine control is done using the front O2s. The rear O2 is just there to detect problems with the catalytic converters.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I'm learning too. I want to try and tune this one myself.

The front O2s are used in closed loop mode, which is mostly low load driving. Under high load it goes into open loop mode and uses a combination of inputs (MAF/MAP) to find the correct cell in a table that tells it how much fuel to deliver.

I think ... don't take any of that as gospel.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty productive day in the garage. We got the new relay box installed, put the hood on, and pulled Mad Customs out of the garage. It drove a lot better this time. Then we cleaned the garage for 4 hours. It was awful. I'm finally able to park my wife's new truck in the garage so she's happy.

We got a few new parts to install tomorrow: elbow for the air intake, oil cooler delete plate, rear disc brakes, and a drop bracket thingy for the leaf springs.

She's gonna look good eventually.

You must be registered for see images attach