Mad Customs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Iv been using this list for years. I noticed this list is on the site but credit was never given to its source.

heres the original 30 common 4L60E problems with solutions. it looks like shift B Solenoid may have failed and your starting in overdrive. theres a couple other potential problems on the list but they are also accompanied with noise.

12. Car goes into gear but feels very sluggish like the brakes are dragging, but it will roll easily (starts out in 4th gear), you manually shift to 2 to get it moving, once it’s moving you put it back in OD and the car shifts 3rd to 4th on its own and locks the converter at the appropriate time: ShiftB solenoid failed: A wiring problem from PCM to transmission or PCM.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's weird about it only moving 2 feet. Truck drove before...the only thing you've changed since you parked it is the transmission/engine, right?

If the rear tires follow the same pattern on the jack stands, probably should remove the driveshaft? There's a small chance the parking pawl mechanism is not engaging/disengaging properly? Although I can't visualize that in my mind because it would limit travel to only a few inches, not 2 ft...

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
there is also this possibility.

17. No forward movement in OD or D, but L2, L1 and R work: Forward sprag is broken. Transmission must be removed and rebuilt. Try not to run or drive the car or further damage could result.

and this one.

21. No movement in any gear: pump failure, or total loss of fluid. Remove transmission and rebuild, or refill pan and find the leak. If out of fluid, avoid running the engine until the transmission is refilled to avoid pump damage. To check for pump failure, check fluid level with the engine off, then start the engine and recheck fluid level. If level does not go down when engine is running, the pump is broken.

It also kind of reminds me of the first filter and fluid change I did but missed the metal clip on the old filter. the new filter did not snap all the way in and when I tried to drive the truck, it wanted to move at first but stopped due to the filter falling off.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's weird about it only moving 2 feet. Truck drove before...the only thing you've changed since you parked it is the transmission/engine, right?

If the rear tires follow the same pattern on the jack stands, probably should remove the driveshaft? There's a small chance the parking pawl mechanism is not engaging/disengaging properly?

Yep, it drove into the garage on its own. It's been sitting at least 6 months now though.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's a freshly rebuilt 4l60e. I kinda think it's something like a stuck brake or maybe even an axle. I'm headed to the parts store and then getting it off the ground.

I just wanted to add my wife gets very angry every time we try and move it. She says it's rattling all the dishes and things off the wall in the kitchen. LOL. Sounds good to me.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
with a fresh rebuild, you wouldnt expect it but it is possible that the filter is laying on the bottom of the pan and not clip into its spot. it might move a bit if the fluid is high enough and then stop because its guna run out of fluid.

this one stumped me for about a day before I said screw it, and opened the pan back up and found the filter laying on the bottom.

My Dad advised me against doing the fluid and filter change and he said I told you so now your screwed! BUT he was wrong and after I snapped the filter in place and put the ATF back in I just drove it straight to his house to show him that he was wrong! LMAO.