Mad Customs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how valid this test is, but with the CKP in my hand if I wiggle a bolt in front of it the PCM runs the fuel pump and doesn't stop until about 2 seconds after I stop. It's definitely seeing something. I tried both sensors and they both do the same thing.

So why doesn't it do that when stuck in the engine?

I'm going to disconnect the starter and make sure it still works while cranking.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 things to chase before buttoning it up and putting it back together.

1) Oil pressure gauge isn't working. I'm pretty sure it has oil pressure just based on sound, but it scares me. I think I just popped the OBS connector onto the LS sender because it looked the same. I looked through the OBS PCM pinouts (again) and there's nothing related to oii pressure so it's gotta be some kind of analog gauge. The only thing I found oil pressure related is in the C100 connector near the brake master. More research needed.

2) Tach isn't working. I do have RPM on my OBD2 gauge. Possibly connected to the wrong wire. I think I read something about a resistor is needed.

3) Connect cruise pin to PCM. Might as well. The boy thinks he'll never use it. Oh, to be young again.

4) Alternator charge wire is too short to reach the battery. I don't want to splice it, but I want to retain the fusible link.

I bought some heat reflective tape and stainless zip ties to get everything as far away and protected from the headers and exhaust as possible.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found a little puddle of oil on the floor under the oil filter. It's actually a good sign as it must be pumping oil. I noticed we slightly dented the filter putting the motor in, or it could be the ebay oil galley cooler thing.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1) Oil pressure gauge isn't working. I'm pretty sure it has oil pressure just based on sound, but it scares me. I think I just popped the OBS connector onto the LS sender because it looked the same. I looked through the OBS PCM pinouts (again) and there's nothing related to oii pressure so it's gotta be some kind of analog gauge. The only thing I found oil pressure related is in the C100 connector near the brake master. More research needed.
What year is your engine? What ECU are you using? The 99-02 vehicles use a single wire sending unit (similar to the GMT400), but the 03+ use some 2 or 3 wire sending unit? Edit: This is for trucks/SUVs; I don't know about the Express van years...hook up a mechanical guage for a little easing your worries!

I had to change from the 3 wire to a 1-wire sending unit when I did my 99. The donor engine came from a 04 Suburban with a blown tranny getting parted out. Here they are side-by-side. The left is the 1-wire:

You must be registered for see images attach

Could it be related to that?

Last edited:

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year is your engine? What ECU are you using? The 99-02 vehicles use a single wire sending unit (similar to the GMT400), but the 03+ use some 2 or 3 wire sending unit? Edit: This is for trucks/SUVs; I don't know about the Express van years...hook up a mechanical guage for a little easing your worries!

I had to change from the 3 wire to a 1-wire sending unit when I did my 99. The donor engine came from a 04 Suburban with a blown tranny getting parted out. Here they are side-by-side. The left is the 1-wire:

Could it be related to that?

The engine is an 01 5.3, 0411 PCM. It's using the taller version of the sender.

I'm hoping I can use that sender, but I guess my last resort would be to get an adapter and run the old sender.

It's also possible I goofed up something in the harness.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 96 uses a 3-wire sensor, so the 99-02 sensor won't work.

I think I could get a 03+ sensor and a pigtail to make that work, but at that point it's probably cheaper and easier to just get an adapter for the 96 sensor. So I'll do that.