Eprom custom tuning for 283?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jebadiah

Reaction score
I have an 89 k1500 with a 350 and a 5speed. 350 finally let a head gasket go and is toast. I would like to keep the tbi. I have a 283 I assembled with a stock 327 cam and a set of 305 HO heads milled down to 56cc. Flat top pistons, so calculated around 10:1. Long tube headers and dual 2.5 into single 3 inch glass pack muffler. Will I need custom tuning or should it run fine without it? Vacuum when ran on the test stand with a carburetor was around 20 inches. If I do need an eprom burned, who do you guys recommend?

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It MAY work as is, but it's always gonna have some kind of running issue. I've done alot of messing around with stock tbi setups, and they're fairly forgiving to modifications. For example, I've bolted a 454 throttle body onto a built 350,and it ran well, but had a weird hesitation on throttle tip-in.
For your combo, I'd put a mild cam in the engine so it mimics the 350 better, and give it a try. What's the worst that can happen, you gotta tune it?
Sure, it's gonna be a bit "less than" the 350, but if tuned, it will run surprisingly well.
On a personal note, I would tune it using your existing tbi setup, and see if you can squeeze some fuel economy out of it.

Jebadiah

Reaction score
It MAY work as is, but it's always gonna have some kind of running issue. I've done alot of messing around with stock tbi setups, and they're fairly forgiving to modifications. For example, I've bolted a 454 throttle body onto a built 350,and it ran well, but had a weird hesitation on throttle tip-in.
For your combo, I'd put a mild cam in the engine so it mimics the 350 better, and give it a try. What's the worst that can happen, you gotta tune it?
Sure, it's gonna be a bit "less than" the 350, but if tuned, it will run surprisingly well.
On a personal note, I would tune it using your existing tbi setup, and see if you can squeeze some fuel economy out of it.
Fuel economy is my hope. I have a 6.7 cummins which is my work/travel truck, the 89 is more of a commuter for work/grocery store or just around town, so I'm really not worried about it having to hauling capabilities a 350 will have. Is there anyone you recommend to do the tuning?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is mad scientist stuff. Could you keep us updated. A 283 , put an early Corvette cam in it, '58, '59. See what happens. Real dinosaur small block.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Elb/ebl flash is what I would use. You'll be able to tinge yourself. It's a good system

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fuel economy is my hope. I have a 6.7 cummins which is my work/travel truck, the 89 is more of a commuter for work/grocery store or just around town, so I'm really not worried about it having to hauling capabilities a 350 will have. Is there anyone you recommend to do the tuning?
I never got into the electronic tuning. When I was into the small block chevy stuff, the tuning options of today weren't available. I went carburated and let it at that.
Are you capable of doing your own tuning if you had the necessary hardware? Or are you simply looking to have someone else do it?