Mad Customs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would be checking the **** out of grounds and connections. Your pump primes but won't hold a load. Unless you did something wrong in the installation of the pump..... you said you only had 8.5 volts on some fuse. what does it control or feed? Maybe make a fused jumper and give it 12 volts. Just talking out loud.

I went over them all yesterday and they are good and tight. I can touch anywhere my probe will reach on the block and see the same voltage at the battery. I will be picking up another cable the next time I'm at the parts store though. I'm going to run a ground connecting the heads together, and then to the frame.

I also verified everything was still hot while cranking.

I was actually just going to cut the wires out of the relay/fuse box yesterday and run them straight to the battery for testing, but when we did the coil test it was good. Maybe R/R the fuses a bunch of times cleaned up the contacts. I still may do that as they will be going to the new box I bought soon anyway.

Today the plan is to get into the PCM, ensure vats is disabled, and clear any codes. Then we'll reassess and go from there.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fwiw the vats disable didn't take in the tune 3 separate times on the 5.3 swap into the square I helped my BIL with last winter. Crank, start, immediately die. As I understand it vats kills the injectors.

May not at all be what you got going on, just kinda thinking out loud.
VATS will kill injector pulse and fuel immediately on startup. I checked when I was swapping my 5.3 with a fuel pump guage and an LED test light on the injectors. Mine also did exactly as you describe.

I didn't read the entire thread, but is there any build up in pressure at all?

The same engine I was swapping had a huge drop in fuel pressure when I put the key on. I unhooked up the fuel hoses to 1. Make sure I had fuel flow and 2. Confirm and I had my feed and return correct. I got a good stream of fuel so I struck off fuel pump (for the time being) and moved on...

Last edited:

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
VATS will kill injector pulse and fuel immediately on startup. I checked when I was swapping my 5.3 with a fuel pump guage and an LED test light on the injectors. Mine also did exactly as you describe.

The same engine I was swapping had a huge drop in fuel pressure when I put the key on. I unhooked up the fuel hoses to 1. Make sure I had fuel flow and 2. Confirm and I had my feed and return correct. I got a good stream of fuel so I struck off fuel pump (for the time being) and moved on...

I haven't put a noid light on it yet, but I did check spark and it doesn't have any spark while cranking.

It makes no fuel pressure, but the pump comes on and fuel is not leaking out anywhere.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You're a genius! Wonder boy had the AN lines crossed. Switched them around and we have over 60 psi now.

Also I smell like gas now. LOL.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Well I guess I really should have looked! LMAO!

(things are running really slow and kind of weirdly delayed. I cant get that smile list to even load. It could be my phone I guess. I'll giver a complete shutdown and restart. see what happens.)

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hes prolly out doing donuts in the snow right now! ;) hahaha we need a CHEERS emoji smiley thingy.

Slow your roll. No joy yet. Still no start.

Just got finished removing the crank sensor. Taking a break. I'm going to see if I can test it. I also have the one that was originally in the 5.3. I swapped it for a new one because I was like "might as well". I'm going to be mad if the new one is bad.

I also started having nightmares that the machine shop removed the reluctor from the crank and didn't put it back on, but I verified it is in there with the bore scope.