looking for the Tape that separates two tone.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshs88

Reaction score
Looking to paint my 88. I would like to paint it the original colors. I'm looking for a source for the tape that separates the two tone at the top.
Also, the correct terminology for this item. Can anyone help out? Thanks.
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Back in 1981 when the second generation square body trucks came out ( with the sloped front ends) they used tape stripes of various colors to make the break between the two tone colors. Some had 3 stripes, some had 5, and there were many variations. I know these used to be available through paint and body supplies stores; 3M makes many of them.
If you have a paint and body supplies store in your area, call them and see what they have. Good luck!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty sure all of that two color pinstripe tape is discontinued by GM. You can search eBay for NOS examples (they do pop up from time to time) or find someone who can replicate the stripes with paint. Neither will be very easy or inexpensive...

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score

You could always use a black pinstripe (or any color) and use the larger stripe to break up the color change, like I’ve done here. There’s lots of colors and widths of stripes available on Amazon. I’ve done this before and it looks pretty good.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't believe you can get the stripes from the dealer anymore. We used to have to order them from the dealer for collision job partial repaints. One piece tape with both colors. You usually have to piece something together using 2 different color stripe tapes these days. It's available in multiple width and color choices but getting exactly what's on the trunk is probably not in the cards but you never know. Auto paint suppliers usually have color charts from whomever they get their striping tape from.

3M Scotch-Cal striping tape is probably the most popular followed by Cal Stripe. Thinking 3/4-1" wide light blue metallic( or whatever that can be had closest to the paint color)stripe with a 1/4 " dark blue(black?) stripe down the center of it. Whatever it measures duplicate.

Looking at your pics, the light blue of the stripe is not an exact match to the paint anyway. Very close is good enough.

Last edited: