L31 Extreme Budget Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I now have the vans interior harness powred through the pins on the C100 plug leading to the fuse box. When I do this I power it through a fuse link that I purposely prepare 1/2" longer than normal and crimp a spade on to it. Later, I simply cut the spade off, the fuse link is reduced to the correct length, then I connect it to the 10awg wires that crimp into the Packard 59 pins.

Testing the exterior lighting at the moment, good thing I have ever bulb on the way as a LED replacement. Numerous failed bulbs and the side markers, turn signals, and tailights are all extremely dim from being ancient incadescents. the DOT approved LED replacements for the OE sealed beams seem awesome, loads of light to see deer and other animals on those dark country roads.

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let there be light!!!
Yes sir!

Just retrofitted a Flamm dual horn setup on it too, without cutting the OE van horn connector off. Horn set probably came off of a Nissan truck/suv in the wrecking yard as the horns themselves are the same as my 97 Express, the Titans I have owned and the Pathfinder. Assuming it was Nissan because the harness that clips on to them uses an EV6 injector style connector rather than the normal GM connector. Raided an OE Hemi harness I have had for salvaging connectors laying in a box for the connector. The old OE horn once I figured out the Horn/Dome Lamp fuse was removed by the previoud owner made half a honk and quit.

I am testing each circuit as I connect more and more and it is slowly coming back to life.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Beep Beep-Beep Beep,his car went beep beep beep!
Any of y'all remember that old song?

I've got an old oohgah horn I've been tempted tp put in Smoky. Not sure what it came from,I know it's not Model A,maybe old Chevrolet.
There were several companies that made some version of the "Ah Oo Gah" horn that sounds like the old Ford ones. They usually go for $15-25 at the swap meets; that's what I got for the ones I found in the shop building.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were several companies that made some version of the "Ah Oo Gah" horn that sounds like the old Ford ones. They usually go for $15-25 at the swap meets; that's what I got for the ones I found in the shop building.
I think this one may be an original,it's 6V. It screams with 12V applied to it.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well making a lot of headway. I cleaned up the fuel hose routing and used a fe cushion clamps to help hold everything securely and tidy. I finished the battery cables and have them neatly run and secured. I finished the engines harness connections to the vans C100 bulkhead connector. Still need to connect the oil pressure sender, coolant temp sender and replace the known bad alternator I had on it for an idler before connecting that. Other than that, started right up using the key for the first time. Headed out of town again, but when I am back, wiring is getting loomed up.

First time it has run off the key in the van. I love the way it lights right off with the MPFI and the cold start chop, chop.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just still find it maddening that this engine has those lifters that were absolutely nasty that I dissaembled, cleaned in my ultrasonic keeping each ones parts in its own plastic cup, submerged in the cleaner, and it does not make a noise. The older set of GMPP LS7s (bought them around 2012 or so in the 97 I had new in the box laying around, collapse, click and clack, and even cause it to misfire. Well hopefully the Lunati lifters fix that engine and I am glad this one just works.