L31 daily driver rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start another thread outside of my main build thread because I know I’ll have more questions. This is not necessarily a “budget build” but I want to spend my money wisely. I want a reliable daily driver that’s quiet-ish and smooth mostly highway cruising. No towing, and I don’t want to rebuild or replace my current 4l60e.

I’m rebuilding the engine in my truck (97 c1500 l31). I’ve thought about just slapping rings and bearings in it but I think it’s a little past that.

Ill preface by saying I am doing all the assembly in each instance.

It’s $179 difference between having my machinist do all the accompanying work on my factory bottom end ( that includes balancing but not including Mallory metal if needed) and just having him do the block prep and me buying a rotating assembly from SWP.

Machinist would use all factory parts, engine tech bearings and rings, KB or sealed power OE pistons. My 2 bolt block .040 over.

SWP includes Scat crank and rods. Weisco pistons, Hastings rings and king bearings

Or for another $676 I can buy the SWP short block kit that includes a seasoned 4bolt block .030 over making it an $855 dollar difference between having my machinist do everything and buying all new.

I don’t know if I could find a 4 bolt block AND have all the machine work done to it for under $1000

Thoughts and constructive criticism welcomed.

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s a link to my trucks build thread

Thread 'Teal daily driven farm truck.'
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/teal-daily-driven-farm-truck.59676/

And some pictures of the torn down engine. And some measurements.
You must be registered for see images attach

Edit: pictured cylinder (#6) is AFTER about 100 passes with a 3 stone hone.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something like this would make an excellent driver. $855 for a machined and preaped 4 bolt block is worth it provided it is done correctly and gauranteed as such, IMO.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$45 more is well worth a 6" rod 383 vs 5.7" rod 350. Just get the larger -24cc relief pistons if you plan to run it on 87 octane with iron heads.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would prefer 87, I’m also looking at either the AFR enforcers or SWP house brand heads. I haven’t taken mine apart yet to see what kind of shape the valves and seats are in. If the need a full valve job I’ll just replace them.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GM marine cam 94666492 is what I’ll put in it too. My cam had to be slide hammered out…

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The longer rod has less side loading Which would increase longevity by decreasing tapering of the cylinder wall?

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I’m under the impression that the 383 is this torque monster that’s going to grenade my transmission the first time I go to pass someone on the highway :33: